1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i make a LEGIT backup of WinXP?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by cfultz, Jan 28, 2007.

1. cfultz

cfultz Regular member

i go to vocational technical school where we use Microsoft's Virtual PC to run older operating systems to get ready for our A+ certification exam. Now, i have a legitimate copy of WinXP Pro and i want to make an iso of it. two questions. 1. what is the best FREE software to do this. 2. is this illegal?

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well, two fairly simple questions :
    1)Any kind of software that can make 1:1 copies, like Alcohol 120%, CloneCD, etc. There's not real free software to do this, but hey, allmost all burning apps come with 30 day full use trials these days.
    2)No matter how you look at it, it's always illegal, the moment you get the disc you are bound by the user agreement which prohibits the making of copies of the disc in any way, shape or form.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2007
  3. cfultz

cfultz Regular member

ok thank you i guess im not going be making a backup copy of my xp disk

4. bkf

bkf Guest

On the softer side it's not the disk your paying for it's the license key. Your legit key will work with anybodys legit XP disc. I have several copies of my xp disk (starting to get scratched)but only one legit key. So I can run one install of XP on one computer at a time. Making a backup of such an important disc is not that big a deal. Running it on more then one computer at a time is a big deal and not allowed.

5. cfultz

cfultz Regular member

alright... so i can make a backup? good. but i cant use it one more than 1 computer (or virtual pc) at a time? ok... thank you once again!

6. bkf

bkf Guest

Can't install it on more then one computer at a time. When you go to validate with MS they will know.

7. cfultz

cfultz Regular member

THEY will know! haha! ok i understand. thanks bfk.

8. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

From the Windows XP EULA:

Now....far be it for me to dispute what Fiend is posting. He and I agree on many things...pirating to be one of them. But, what this is saying, is that you have a right to make 1 (one) backup copy to any storage device. Be it, CD, server, flash drive, DVD, to use ONLY to install it on your primary machine. However, you can use that copy to install XP on another computer BUT you need to acquire an additional license (install key) for that machine.

I know, the disks say "Do Not Make Illegal Copies of this Disk"...but what it's specifically designed to point out, is you are not allowed to make and distribute additional copies of the disk and the primary key assigned to it.

So...if you make a copy of the XP you're using at work/school/etc....you need to purchase a license key from Microsoft to make it a legal installation on another machine.

But, I should warn you...that your vocational school's license to use that OS may be even stricter then the EULA...I'd check with them first before doing anything on your own.

9. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Ok, now that's really odd, my (UK) english version of WinXP clearly states in the EULA that making copies of the discs is prohibited...Same with the dutch version i use.
    Could it be EULA is different per country ?
    Any other input on this ?

10. bkf

bkf Guest

No they are likley the same. My orginal disc says "Do Not Make Illegal Copies of this Disk" Well im sorry but CD's do not last forever and if I paied for the license im not going to have to re buy it because the disc snapped in half. A grey area yes but so are so many other things. This orginal has now been on 4 systems except only one at a time as I use the old formated OS drives as slaves everytime I upgrade to larger drives in a new system. Sometimes these EULA are a little over the top. Im not distributing the disc or key. Im also not going to buy XP again because The disc failed. In a school im not sure how it is but I could format the computer im on now and even use a copy of the disc to load another system as long there is only one validated system. It's all about the key and WGA. Sorry im not going to change my position on this. Same way music and movie people feel. A 3 year old can do some serious damage to a disc in seconds so should they be required to pay for a new disc as if they never owned the orginal? Off topic maybe but not piraticy.

edit missing word and my spelling still needs work :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2007
  11. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

@Fiend,

I copied that from the first section of the EULA, Section 1 "Grant of License" paragraph 3 - "Storage/Network Use".

Illegal copies would be defined as such a way as you are distributing the XP CD for others so they do not need to purchase the OS. What the license is telling you (maybe just the US English version) is that you have the right to make ONE copy of the software to "ANY" storage device to be used to install on your main machine (first key purchased) or other machines connected to that network ONLY if you purchase additional licenses for those installations. In other words, I can buy one physical XP CD and 500 licenses. Copy that disk to a network server and install XP til I hit the 500 license limit.

@bkf

I'm with you bud...I don't give a rat's fat *** about someone saying I can or cannot backup for the protection of my investments. But I don't go giving away copies of my backups either!! ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

The thing is boys, the EULA in these to versions has no mention whatsoever of storage/network use, and states that "creating backup copies of the software is strictly prohibited".
    I'm starting to think that this has something to do with the whole new copyright law the EU is trying to impose.

@bkf & Morph : i understand where you guys coming from, and on a personal level, i can't do anything but agree that it's just plain stupid.
    Hell, i make slipstreamed XP copies all the time. (i HATE having to manually install all that cr@p)
    My only point here was that as far as i know, making these things is illegal, which is what the guy asked.
    I couldn't care less if microsoft doesn't like me making backups, the moment they create a media which cannot be damaged by kids, dogs and other assorted disc wreckers, i'll stop doing it. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2007
  13. bkf

bkf Guest

I understand where you are coming from also. And it maybe the fact that in the UK it is different. At least the UK is doing things to help. My conclusion is that sometimes one just needs to ignore a EULA and do what makes sense. I don't think I have read a EULA from top to bottom in my life. I own it so it,s mine and as long as I don't distribute it to others im ok with it. Willing to bet maybe 1% read a EULA at all. For most it just another unwanted button click.
    No shot at anyone with my comments was intended. Actually the OP did not really say what he planned to do with that copy or why he needed a copy at all. Bk :)

14. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

TDK has already made 99% pure scratch resistant disks. In fact, last year Maximum PC had some, and from the article, they said they took it out on the sidewalk (concrete)...stepped on it, slid it back and forth several times..and shown no damage.

Now...just imagine the loss in sales of those making the current media.