1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I make quality backups?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by javamoe, Mar 14, 2005.

1. javamoe

javamoe Member

Hi I am new to making backups and I am having trouble with my disc playing cleanly. I have a fliptop and Swap magic. I have only made one dvd so far. However, it does not play all the time. When it does play I get long load times and pauses thoughout the game. I am using TDK DVD+r. I have not had any trouble with this disc in the past burning movies and other stuff. Does anyone have similar problems with TDK discs? Can anyone suggest another brand to use. Thanks

Another issue may be that my lazer is dirty. I tried some of the suggestions for cleaning the lazer and raising the cd dial. Both seemed to not have much of an effect. Any suggestions?
    thanks

2. nycaznk3v

nycaznk3v Member

yes...i have the same problem,

im using nero...ritek G04 media and burning at 2x
    i know the media is good because i burn backup of movies all the time and none of them has failed me.

so far all my backups dont work.

do you think we should try to burn with a different media?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  3. keras

keras Regular member

If you have an older Ps2, you might want to try a -r instead of a +r dvd. I use Teon (el cheapo) dvd's for movies and they work great, but they don't work at all for games. I switched to maxell 8x -r's, burning at 2x (slowest speed i can) and haven't had a problem yet.

So my suggestion is to try some different media until you find one that works well for you.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

PS2 games are way more picky with media than movies are. Good media is a must for games. Ritek G04's used to be great, then a few months ago they started making crap from what I've read. I guess they got overloaded with orders and because of the huge increase of production to fill these orders they started slacking on the dye quality (again - just what I read). I am still using my batch from before then, but definitely try different media.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

As stated above, try different media.
    I used just about any old crap for movies and they worked. But games on the other hand require quality media. Try some DVD-R discs
    TDK, Phillips, Ritek G04 are just a few i have seen good things about.

6. thepsxman

thepsxman Member

same problem here with the dvd disc...
    now i use DVD+R Bulkpaq 4x and burn on 1x with alcohol 120!
    Perfect games!

7. miraloma

miraloma Guest

You can't go wrong with Taiyo Yuden brand as that's the best you can get. Shop4Tech.com offers 100pack of high quality Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R media for $28.80 shipped via coupon code "TCB10" for 3 Days only. Shipping is free within U.S.

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Taiyo Yuden is crap! Just kidding, they're actually the only brand I've never seen anyone say anything bad about. So I figured I'd be the first, even if it was a lie.

9. javamoe

javamoe Member

hi guys. I forgot to mention that i can only burn DVD R+. Will I lose a lot of quality using the dvd+r? Hopefully this won't make to much of a difference. Can anyone give me some advice about this?
    thanks

10. gruzum

gruzum Member

It depends on your console, a newer model (7-12) will maybe read DVD+R better than DVD-R, but it depends on the laser installed...

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I wouldn't think you should lose any game quality. After all, they still hold the same amount of data that a DVD-R holds. As far as it doing something to your laser, the rumors fly but who knows what's true.

12. craigmacd

craigmacd Member

can you burn games on DVD -RW, i.e. copy over a game when you don't want it any more?

13. gruzum

gruzum Member

Some consoles can read DVDRW media, but all of them do it badly, and is not what I would use for backups....
    save that for movies...