1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I make this chip work?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by selbekk, Mar 7, 2007.

1. selbekk

selbekk Member

I´m really an xbox modder newbie, so I dont know what to do when things dont work right away.

I got version 1.0 of the xbox I think

I´ve disassembled the xbox, bought a hyperx solderless chip, and done as instructed. None of the wires broke off, luckily, and the chip´s led is blinking green.

I only attached one of the wires, as told by the manual.

Now, as said, the chip is blinking green (so I guess it is in the right position), but the xbox denies to start up. it tries three times (fans start spinning, main power light starts blinking, before it finally starts, giving me a black screen, and the main power light is blinking red and green quickly..

what should I do?

2. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

ok if u box is chipped u need to install avaluanch on it and a bigger HDD other wise it wont work

3. selbekk

selbekk Member

why is that? it said nothing about all that in the manual? the only reason I want to chip it is because I want to play games from all over the world (I bought some in the US, and I want to play em om my european spec xbox).

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Have you installed a bios? I don't believe they come with one..

http://www.hyperxmod.com/index.html

then you will need a replacement dash.. simple way is with an installer disk for hardmods.. slayers, xwizard etc.. torrents or xbins.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  5. selbekk

selbekk Member

nope, they didnt say nothing about a bios.... what is it, and how do I install it?

edit:

and i dont get it... now my xbox wont start, how am I supposed to install anything on it? shall I remove the chip first? and where do I download a bios? and how do I install it?

sorry for all these questions, but I really dont know shit about this.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  6. steimy

steimy Active member

If the chip is installed correctly then the Xbox should still start up, You can not flash the chip if the Xbox will not start.
    Does the chip have any sort of check system (like lights on the chip) so that you can tell if it was installed right?
    http://www.hyperxmod.com/downloads/hyperx_installation.pdf
    is that the guide you used?

7. selbekk

selbekk Member

yep that was the guide I used... and there is a light on-chip, but it lights up green, not red, and it´s blinking... the manual says it should be red and does not mention blinking...

what should i do?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

you will most likely have to re-install it. If the manual says it should be red. I wish the site for the chip at least had a way to contact them for support, but it doesn't.
    They obviously do not care much about their customers.

9. selbekk

selbekk Member

I have tried to re-install this thing so many times already, it´s not even funny. Either it doesnt light up, and the xbox works as normal, or it starts to blink green, and my xbox throws a fit.

damn, I really need this thing to work. Anybody here live in Oslo, Norway, and have some spare time on their hands these days? :)

10. selbekk

selbekk Member

bump:

can anyone give me a simple guide on how to make this work?

peace

11. theridges

theridges Guest

Make Sure your Chip is ON....
    make sure that D0 Point the only wire you had to put into the hole is in there securely....

12. selbekk

selbekk Member

yep, did both of those.... now what? shall I poke those pins on the underside of the board through the circuit board?

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I've noticed that lots of people have had problems installing the HyperX mod chip. Well I've just had the good fortune to have installed two of them, no major issues, and thought I'd share some of my tips here.

I used the "squeeze" method on both, just like I did on my previous installs of SpiderChips. The header connector on top of the chip makes a great platform for taping some LEGO to. I use a 2x4 brick and two 2x2 flat pieces - seems to be the perfect thickness to squeeze the chip just right.

But before you do that it's important to get the pogo pins aligned properly. I don't know what they've changed between the SpiderChip and the HyperX, but the HyperX seems to be harder to align. There's either more "play" in the pins or (as someone else here suggested) the pins are oh-so-subtly misaligned. Here's what I suggest:

1. put the thick washer down over the hole
    2. carefully place the chip down, but don't try to align it perfectly yet
    3. use the included screw, but make sure that it is still LOOSE - the chip should be able to slide around but the screw should be catching the threads
    4. now, use your index finger and your good eyesight and carefully move the chip until it is aligned over the LPC holes. When it is aligned properly it should feel snug and will stop sliding around.
    5. while holding the chip down with one hand so that it stays aligned, use your other hand to grab the screwdriver and tighten the screw until it's snug. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN - it's not necessary.
    6. take a good look again at where the pogo pins are touching the LPC. They should all be inside a hole. Some tools to help you with the inspection will be a good small BRIGHT flashlight and/or a magnifying glass.
    7. now you can insert the wires into the appropriate vias. Use your finger to gently bend the wire around and toward the hole. With luck your vias won't have any lacquer in them.

If you have problems getting the pins aligned, it can help to remove the motherboard from the case. I've never had to do it but it makes it much easier to check the connection.

Now, before you try to squeeze it or put the DVD drive back, plug in the Xbox and use your index finger to GENTLY push down on the chip - again, the header connector makes a great handle. Turn on the Xbox and watch the screen - one of a few things will happen:

1. HyperX LED flashes green and HyperX BIOS comes up - congrats, you got it right
    2. HyperX LED flashes green, but Xbox boots normally - the LPC pins are good but the D0 connection isn't. Check the D wire's connection.
    3. HyperX LED flashes green, but Xbox FRAGs (tries to boot twice, and then front LED flashes red and green) - the D0 connection is good but some other connection isn't good enough. Try reseating the entire chip OR try putting a little bit more pressure on the chip.
    4. HyperX LED doesn't light up - the LPC ports aren't making a good connection and the chip isn't getting power. Check those pogo pins.

Another possible problem is that you're installing into a v1.6b xbox (Hynix RAM chips) and the chip LED lights, but the Xbox LED stays RED. Then the problem is that the HyperX BIOS won't boot due to the RAM timing issue - but I'm only aware of this being a problem on the old SpiderChip, can anyone confirm this with a HyperX?

Now you should be able to put the squeeze on your chip. Get some LEGO and use a 2x4 brick as a base, and put two 2x4 or 2x2 flats on top. Make a very small loop of cellophane tape - not much wider than the header connection on the HyperX - and stick it to the bottom of the LEGO brick. Then gently affix it onto the HyperX header connector. Here's what it looks like ready to go:

IPB Image.. [​IMG]

Now re-install the IDE cable (if you removed it) and make sure that the DVD power cable is out of the way. Put the DVD drive back gently. You will have the best luck if you get the front aligned first. When the DVD drive is correctly back in its place, take your trusty flashlight and look through the side of the case where the HyperX is. The LEGO should still be standing up and the DVD drive should be just touching it. If the LEGO fell off remove the DVD drive and fix it, and then try again. When you push down GENTLY on the DVD drive you should see the HyperX move a bit - that's the squeeze in action.

Proceed to reassemble everything, and make sure the screws holding the DVD drive are good and snug. Once it's all back together you should be good to go.

Now, as for making a BIOS flash CD... the HyperX is a bit peculiar as it has a 1MB flash chip, but it's not split into banks. Either get a 1MB bios or patch up some smaller ones. You don't need any special tools to convert a smaller BIOS to a 1MB file though, here's what you do.

Say our original 256K BIOS is called "origbios.bin". Open a command prompt window (you are using Windows, aren't you?) in the directory where the BIOS file is and run this command:

Now you'll have a 1MB file that has four copies of your 256K BIOS. With a 512K BIOS, just include the file twice, like this:

Rename the resulting file BIOS.BIN and use some other guide to make a BIOS flash CD

Thanks to chuma, xbox-scene for the guide. (edited slightly)

14. theridges

theridges Guest

HaHa A lego Block....

Thats Different Jan...

15. janrocks

janrocks Guest

It has worked for a lot of people.. I suppose anything non-conductive of that size will do. We had similar posted on llamma last autumn, but I can't find it now so I ripped chuma's guide.

Original poster.. If you have a 1.0 there is a good chance you have lacquer in the LPC holes, though some are filled with solder instead.
    It's purely a contact issue. I didn't like this chip, very similar to the spiderx. Seems that the makers had never actually tried to install one.

16. selbekk

selbekk Member

thank ya :) Now everything works as it should I think... Now I only need to fit the cover back on (its tricky), and were in business. I used a coke bottle top taped with electrical tape for a spacer, but the chip worked even without pressure. Now my xbox restarts once before it starts up, and shows me the start up picture. I did have solder in my LPC holes, but it worked with a little tricking around.

thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!

just one more question, where do I get a hold of the right BIOS or whatever? and do I just burn it on a cd, and pop it into the dvd drive?

17. theridges

theridges Guest

i have the x2 5035 bios...just click my name and go to my downloads section....extract the 5035 and burn the image with nero to CD

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2007
  18. selbekk

selbekk Member

hi again... I am having trouble with installing a bios on my newly chipped and functional xbox. What BIOS should I use (I've tried the one you mentioned, but I couldnt get it to work)? When I put in the CD, the drive doesnt respond. When I put in a dvd (I tried copying it to a 1mb file (the iso file was about 600mb, but, idk), I just get "no bios update found... halting".

What shall I do?

19. jmcole

jmcole Regular member

selbekk,
    I installed the same chip on my 1.0 a few months ago. I had to use the Evox 3285 bios (1,024kb). I had to burn the files to a DVD+RW disc. It wouldn't work with any other kind of disc. It also would'nt work if I burned as an ISO, I had to burn the regular files to the disc. I also had to add some dummy files to fill up the disc a little so that the xbox could read it. The total size of the disc was 589mb.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  20. selbekk

selbekk Member

aint it crazy that HyperX doesnt a) provide a guide on how to do this properly, and b) provide the bios themselves?