1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I merge video from 1 DVD with the audio of another?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by manunu, Dec 14, 2003.

1. manunu

manunu Member

I own several R1 titles with widescreen, and several R4 of the same titles that don´t have widescreen, what programs do I need to make ´´backups´´ with the widescreen video from the R1´s and the audio tracks from the R4 titles. I currently have, DVD2one,copytoDVD. Thank you for the help.

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hmmm, odd question, I am intruiged...

Why would you want to do this?

Could it be that the R4 disk of "film X" has a language soundtrack that is not available on the R1 version of "film X"???

I can think of a couple of ways to do what you ask, I am just not sure what it is you want..

So, do this for me...
    Pick a film
    what soundtracks (languages) are available on the R1?
    what soundtracks (languages) are available on the R4?
    which soundtrack from the R4 do you want with the R1 video?

3. manunu

manunu Member

OK, let's say Toy Story 2, R1 (NTSC)WIDESCREEN English, Spanish, French. Now Toy Story 2, R4 (NTSC) FULLSCREEN English, Portuguese, Spanish. I want to merge the WIDESCREEN video from the R1 title with the 5.1 Portuguese audio from the R4, without loosing much or anything as far as the quality if possible.

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hmmm, OK.

Unless you have LOTS of money available for the purchase of pro-level dvd authoring suite I have a very cheap method for you.

1 - rip only the vobs from R1 into a folder R1
    2 - rip only the vobs from R4 into a folder R4
    3 - use DVD2AVI set up as a frameserver, extract audio track 1 & video pointer file from R1 ripped vobs to R1 folder (the important bit is the video pointer file, the audio will be ignored)
    4 - play the R4 audio file on your pc to make sure you ripped the correct one
    5 - use DVD2AVI set up as a frameserver, extract audio track 2 & video pointer file from R4 ripped vobs to R4 folder (the important bit is the audio file, the video will be ignored)
    6 - compare the filesizes for the R1 audio & the R4 audio, they should be within a few hundred KB of each other.
    7 - use TMPGenc with NTSC DVD template, import the video from R1 folder & the audio from R4 folder
    8 - calculate the average bitrate for 2-pass VBR & put the resultant figures into TMPGenc (note, minimum bitrate 2500 & enable padding)
    9 - encode a small sample of the movie (5 minutes should do) to check audio synch.
    10 - run the project, TMPGenc will use the Widescreen video & the Portuguese soundtrack & multiplex them to create a DVD compliant MPEG 2 format file using 2-pass variable bit rate encoding.
    11 - use your chosen dvd authoring package (Sonic MYDvd is a cheapo often given away with dvd writers), import the MPEG 2 file & write the dvd structure to hard drive
    12 - test the result using dvd player application on the pc.
    13 - if all ok, burn to dvd.

IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT defrag your hard drives OR move any of the created files at any time BEFORE the whole thing is completed as TMPG will lose track of the VOB positioning (frameserver data gets broken), otherwise you have to go back to step 3...

PROS:
    cheap, any machine can do it

allows you to perform processing on the audio (equalization, compression etc)

CONS:
    manual (not automated), some people object to having to DO things with their pc, they just "want it to do what they want without all that mucking about" - (my version of the "Do Everything Including MIND-READING" software suite is in development at the moment, but will be available Real Soon Now(tm) <joke> )

takes a lot of time (processing)

takes a lot of space (many gigabytes, until it is all finished)

you end up with only the film, no subtitles, no extras, no chapter breaks (but at the highest quality possible, mind you)

Need to know more? Just ask..

Have Fun...

5. drchips

drchips Active member

Ha, I forgot one of the CONS:

audio is only in stereo (no 5.1)

been awake too long.. must..get..sleep..Zzzzz

Have Fun..

6. drchips

drchips Active member

Done a bit of looking for ya..

Check out the following:
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

Allows you to author DVD and set up your own chapter breaks.

That is one of the CONS: taken care of.

Will keep looking....

Have Fun...

7. malum

malum Regular member

It's far easier than that.
    Rip the video only (strip streams) using Decrypter. This will give you an M2v file which is just the Video.

Get the other disc and rip the sound track you want out of it (same method as above)
    This will give you an AC3 track.

Use IFOedit and choose the author option. (you'll need the chapter points as a text file from the original IFO)

let it do it's stuff then do 'Get VTS sectors' and there you go

8. drchips

drchips Active member

Yep, wot malum says (BTW, malum, nice one - long time me no use IFOEdit, I forgot all about it, cheers!) will work fine IF the following conditions are true:

the films have the same running time.

the films are of the same edit/cut (sometimes you will find that different markets have different edits/cuts, probably to take account of local tastes or legal issues: MIRAMAX is a favourite for doing that, taking a BRILLIANT film from Asia & editing it for the USA)

the films have the same framerate (problematic if one is PAL @ 25fps & other is NTSC @23.97fps)
    - Note: "NOT APPLICABLE in the example quoted in this thread."

aaarrrggghhh, there are so many variables, all dependant upon the whims of the distributors/legislators etc.

If you can do it simple then that's a bonus;
    but be prepared for when it ain't that simple.

Have Fun...

9. malum

malum Regular member

Yes, they'd have to be the same number of frames which you can check with IFOedit as well.

I think the chances of Toy Story being edited for legal content are quite small :)

10. manunu

manunu Member

Wow, I don´t know how to thank you all, but THANK YOU!, I´m definently going to give it a try, but it´ll be a little while until I get a chance ´cause I going out of town, but anyhow and way, as soon as I test it out I´ll post back with the results! Thanks again.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It shoudl work. Remember though that the sound for a NTFS disc will need correct if putting it on a Video from a PAL disc or vice versa

12. manunu

manunu Member

Malum when said to rip the video only (stip streams) using Decrypter, you were refering to DVD Decrypter right? So that's what I tried doing, launched the program, changed the mode to IFO, clicked on the stream processing tab, clicked the enable stream processing box, unchecked all the audio and subtitle streams, and clicked on the decrypt button, and in the folder I got the following: Text stream info, IFO file, and several (4) files labeled VTS_ 03_01 and so on, but nothing called M2v, am I missing something? Could there be something in the options? I remember having tried doing it this way long ago, and I definently got the M2v file, my problem back them was finging a program to merge them, but what am I doing wrong now?

13. malum

malum Regular member

select the video stream (unselect everything else first) and then click the demux radio button at the bottom of the same screen

14. manunu

manunu Member

ok, that worked to produce m2v files, but not a single one, I tried to change the settings in FILE MODE where it says file splitting to NONE, but the same thing happened, is there a way to select more than one m2v in Ifoedit?

15. malum

malum Regular member

there is an option to produce a single m2v in Decrypter, you are ripping in IFO mode so you need to change that option to file splitting 'none'

16. manunu

manunu Member

All right I'm good with the single m2v but when I go to author using IFOEdit the AC3 track doesn't show up so I tried selecting it using "show all files" and I used the VTS_01_1 file decrypter created in IFO mode with I selected the audio track and demuxed it, but when I go to play the finished product from IFOEdit after processing and doing the 'Get VTS sectors' there isn't any audio, maybe I'm overlooking something simple, any more advise Malum?

17. manunu

manunu Member

To aid you all in figuring out what I'm doing wrong this is what I did....step by step.

Insert Disc A (Original Video)
    Open DVD decrypter
    Click mode INFO
    Highlight the main title time
    Click the Stream Processing Tab
    Click Enable Stream Processing
    Unselect everything and then select the Video
    Click on the Demux button.
    Click the Decryption button to strip the video info to make a M2v file

Insert Disc B (Original Audio)
    Open DVD decrypter
    Click mode INFO
    Highlight the main title time
    Click the Stream Processing Tab
    Click Enable Stream Processing
    Unselect everything and then select the desired Audio track
    Click on the Demux button.
    Click the Decryption button to strip the audio info to make an AC-3 file

Open IFOEdit
    Click DVD Author –Author New DVD
    Select M2v video file created from Disc A
    Select the audio file created from Disc B
    Select the VTS_01 – Stream Information File created from Disc A
    Make a folder for the destination files shown in the Output Stream box
    Click ok and let processing take place
    Click “Get VTS sectors”

18. malum

malum Regular member

what's the file extension of the sound file you are trying to put into IFOedit?

If it's .AC3 then IFedit should have no problem seeing it.

19. manunu

manunu Member

It just says VTS_01_1.VOB

20. manunu

manunu Member

It actually lets me click on "All Files (*.*)" to select the file and it shows the .VOB file in the box but when all is said and done it just doesn't work with the VOB. file, maybe it's some sort of system incompatibility issue but anyhow and way, can you recommend a program that will let me strip the audio other than the DVD decrypter without an loss in quality.