1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i place subtitles outside of the movie

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by hernee, Feb 20, 2007.

1. hernee

hernee Member

Hi people...
    I'm having problems with the placement of the subtitles in some movies. First of all, I'm from Argentina, main language is Spanish here so please forgive my English and, if anything of my explanation isn't clear, let me know so i'll try to explain it better.

What I want to do is, in films which aren't full screen, place the subtitles outside the image. (Some people told me i should do it with Virtual Dub Mod, but I guess I don't know how). I've also got to say that all the movies are in AVI format, but I know how to compress it to MPEG-2.

Let's explain it with images:

This is how it's seen on my DVD

[​IMG]

And this is how i want them to be seen:

[​IMG]

Well, hope it is clear, and hope someone can help me. Thankz a lot for your time people.

----
    If you can't see the pictures, they are here:
    First one:

Second one:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

For DVD video you can author with external subs, then set the vertical position to whatever. Otherwise, if you want to hard encode you would need to expand the video first, then add the subs. So say:
    AddBorders(0, 86, 0, 86)
    textsub("whatever.srt")

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

what file type you starting with? and what format are the subs in like srt etc

4. hernee

hernee Member

First of all, it's not a DVD movie. It's an AVI file. Subtitles are SRT. Then I converted them to SSA to be able to load it in Virtual Dub Mod.
    Now, what I want to do is: place the subtitles below the image and then export the new file with permanent subtitles as a SVCD.
    I don't know how to do that.

Hope it is helpful, Rotary. Thankz for asking.

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Just you said MPEG-2 and DVD.
    Anyway, the same applies to SVCD since it also supports separate subtitle streams. Same also applies for hard encoding. Just that you would be resizing to 480x576 instead of 720x576. SVCD supports 16:9 or only 4:3? Can't remember since I never really encoded any. Can see even less point now since a movie would take maybe 3 CD's and DVDR's are about the same price as 1 CDR.

Textsub (VSFilter) can accept srt subs by the way for VDubMod.

Add a resize filter, expand to 16:9/4:3 (640x272 becomes 640x360/480), then after add textsub. The subs should now be in the black.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007