1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I protect my media library on HDD with PS3?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by btstephen, Oct 22, 2011.

1. btstephen

btstephen Member

Hi,
    I hope I am posting in the correct forum.

I want to convert my DVD collection to video files on a hard drive dedicated to only hold media files to be played on my TV through my playstation 3 and media server. I have everything working correctly to stream my files from my computer with my media server to my PS3 and watch my movies flawlessly. I however have 2 questions that concern me:

1. What is the best resolution to rip my dvd's at in order get a great copy to be watched on my HDTV(47", but may upgrade sometime in the future, but don't want to have to re-encode my movies if i get a bigger TV) and best resolution that is optimized to conserve space on my hard drive?

2. How do people protect themselves from anti-piracy regulations and being caught with illegal downloads when they set up their media libraries? Media servers share files over the wireless network. What is the risk when using a media library that has movies and TV shows that were downloaded from torrent sites. How does one conceal this information and protect themselves when libraries continue to increase with more and more movies

2. DxxS

DxxS Member

Question 1 is really going to be personal preference, my rips range from 700MB-1GB, this gives a good enough picture(for me) on a 37" tv, dark colours do pixelate a bit but i can live with that to save space.

Question 2, someone please correct me if im wrong, but sharing media across a home network would not get you 'caught', if you are going to be caught at any stage it is most likley going to be when you download the media. I wouldnt really be too worried about content already in your collection.