1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i recover winre partition in vista

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rachdane, Apr 11, 2008.

1. rachdane

rachdane Member

is there a way to recover winre because i already have it in my hard drive in vista os and i delete it by mistake using acronis disk diretor 10 suite from boot and i don't know what the hell is this winre and is it to that extant vital and necessary to windows vista .
    now after deleting this partition it does not even know my hard drive exist and tells me no hard disk detected and can't enter acronis disk diretor 10 it freeze after loading it
    the laptop is fujitsu siemens AMILO Pi 1537 please is there any software or any way to recover the winre and i tried the install xp but says no hd detected, no xp driver is supported for the new laptop
    now i m in big trouble someone gave this laptop to add to it some data and i ve bring it to failure and the owner will ask me for 600 usd if i didn't repair it
    please i m counting on you

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. jony218

jony218 Guest

I don't know how important winre is, it's mostly used to repair an installation of windows vista. But if you have a Vista installation dvd it will usually have the same tools.
    winre description
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Recovery_Environment

vista repair dvd info
    http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

I think what you did is changed the boot order of the hard drive. The mbr was probably corrupted by disk director.

1. My advice is to use the vista installation dvd to do a fixmbr. Hopefully this will fix it so the hard drive can be recognize again.

As long as you didn't touch the vista partition, you can fix the computer (you can back up the partition and store it on an external hard drive so nothing happens to it.)

I wouldn't try installing windows xp or doing anything that might damage the vista partition.

vista forums
    http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/forum-220.html

3. rachdane

rachdane Member

thanks i managed to install vista but unfortunately when i wanted to use backup software to backup my system c all the backup softwares refuses to recognize my system partition and some soft refuses even to be installed .
    i used ghost 12 and 14 ,acronis true image 11 and 10,active boot disk,nova backup
    i used them from windows and some from boot but in vain,when i try backup after selecting system partition the software crashes or quit the procedure

please help i don't know exactly what's the matter with the system partition

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  4. tblomega

tblomega Member

If you deleted the winRE partition you are screwed as far as I am aware. HOWEVER if the partition is still there but u have lost access to it that can be fixed. you will need to go to microsoft's website & download windows AIK its a big disk image(CD size not DVD size). once downloaded burn to disk & use disk to install windows aik (or daemon tools). you will get step by step guide & tools to-do all kinds of deployment stuff.

However for just repairing the winRE link to the vista install u need only a single command script that comes with windowsAIK. its called setautofailover.cmd you could also google that & find a single download but ud be risking someone messing with it.

after you have that file you are gonna need to know a few things like what order the winRE partition is & what letter.

the vista install disk if your OEM used the hide option wont even see its still there however your windows xp install disk will & when it lists your partitions it will tell you the letter & partition order. alltho there are ABSOLUTE drive letters as far as the heart of the system is concerned when it comes to installing OS & such drive letters are relative (ever install to the D drive & when your done windows says is on the C or E drive). as such at this point in the game only pay attn to what partition number the windows xp disk says the winRE partition is. your looking for both the disk # (it'll be highlighted & its not a option thing just a line of info) & the partition (you can highlight it & if u hit enter it'll try to install xp to it DONT DO IT THO!!!)

Next boot to your vista disk. On the screen with the big-fat INSTALL button DONT click it instead look in the lower left corner for what looks like a hyperlink saying something to the effect of repair your computer. you will have 4-5 options click the cmd prompt option.

Do the dos Dir command for all your drives c-h just to be safe. well windows & even the vista installer will not see your hidden winRE files command prompt will. when you find the drive letter that's named recovery or WinRE or something close to that & that has a cleaner(less files) but similar file structure to your vista install that's your winRE drive.

navigate(dos-style) to wherever that setautofailover.cmd is. dosent matter if its on a HDD a thumb drive or dvd/cd (this stuff runs in ram so u can pop the disk out safely!). do as prescribed below

X:\whateverdir\whateverdir\setautofailover.cmd /target d: /mainos {default} /disk # /partition #

change the X:\ to whatever drive has the setautofailover.cmd & the \whateverdir\'s to lead to exactly where its stored.

change the d: in /target d: to whatever letter typing dir c-g said was you winRE drive letter.

where it says /disk # remove the # symbol & put the number you found from the xp disk for disk number

where it says /partition # do the same as the above line EXCEPT put in the number for the winre partition instead of the disk number

the bit about /mainos {default} DONOT edit in anyway no matter your configuration well the is adjustments that can be done at this stage. none of them pertain or relate to you. default= default not vista not xp type it EXACTLY as I did with those same brackets & everything.

if you followed these instructions properly if u hit f7 on your next reboot your "repair my computer" will be back along with safe mode & that jazz.

If you deleted the partition u can send it back to the manufacture why will plug a bootable Ethernet line into it & hit the go button & will fix it but they'll charge u a arm & a leg prolly.