1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I remove Letterbox?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ericg8, Apr 13, 2005.

1. ericg8

ericg8 Guest

Here's the situation. I own some old movies with letterbox, that means that the 16:9 ratio has been preserved with the movie, but a black bar has been added to the top and bottom to fill a standard t.v. screen.

Now that I want to play the movie on a 16:9 screen, I get black bars added to the sides to fill in from the 4:3. The end result is wide black bars all the way around my picture.

Any software tool for stripping that off, or do I have to buy new movies? (some are not available any other way)

Thanks

2. gamename

gamename Regular member

im not sure i understand the question exactly. my dvd players have an option for this. check and see if yours does. it should be listed under ratio.

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You can stretch the 4:3 to fit on your widescreen, but until 16x9 becomes the standard you will just have to settle. Also, keep in mind that even with a widescreen tv you will still see movies that are even wider(starwars,LOTR etc.) that will still require bars on the top and bottom. Either way, you will still get a bigger picture than with a standard 4:3 screen.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  4. ericg8

ericg8 Guest

Let me try and explain this situation more fully.

1) DVD is Letterbox, not Sidescreen

2) I desire to play it on a new 20" iMac (16:9)

3) I get a picture surrounded on all four sides by a 2 to 3" black bar.

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

OK sidescreen, post your mac question on this forum.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/56

6. ericg8

ericg8 Guest

O.k., o.k., I meant to type WIDESCREEN

It's not a Mac problem. The Picture has the top and bottom bars built in to the image. So, the mac is handling it like any other 4:3 movie.

As for platforms, I have a P.C. as well.

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I need to know specifically what it is you want to do. What display are you having issues with?

8. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

He's basically saying that his Mac's monitor is a 16:9 ratio deal. And he has some movies that he thinks are in 16:9, therefore they SHOULD, (should being the key word) play without the letterbox bars.
    Did I get that right? If your monitor is anything like my Wide HDTV, it should have menu options to adjust the picture. Such as regular 4:3, 4:3 Wide (which basically stretches a pan/scan or broadcast picture to fill the whole screen) 16:9, and some others.

Make sure your movies are 16:9 for starters. Not all movies are in that format even if they say widescreen. For example my Men In Black widescreen is in 1.85:1...

Then try to adjust your monitor, maybe doing so while the movie is playing until you get the best ratio that you like. That's about the only thing you can really do, there is no way to "strip" the letterbox off of the film, it was formatted that way. Also try zooming in one notch maybe. :) Good Luck!

9. hijacker

hijacker Guest

Try adjusting your big screen settings to 16:9 instead of 4:3 in your tv settings

10. ericg8

ericg8 Guest

PLEASE PAY CLOSE ATTENTION:

On Letterbox DVDs, THE BLACK BARS ARE BUILT IN TO THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE PICTURE ITSELF. These movies predate widescreen monitors and televisions.

NO ADJUSTMENT TO THE TV OR DVD PLAYER WILL FIX THIS.

Reauthoring with cropping is required. I can do this for a DIVX but not back to a DVD.

11. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Most and I believe all dvd players have settings for how you want your movies displayed. You need to check the dvd player menu and see if there's a way to change the display settings. If you're playing them on a computer, the software may not have this setting. I know that most standalones have these settings.