1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I rip 360 games? and what is the best drive to do so?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ssj4_2004, Feb 8, 2007.

1. ssj4_2004

ssj4_2004 Member

We are trying to flash A MS 25 with the newsest firmware. We have A PNY flash drive with the firmware installer on it. But it won't boot while in the computer.

We have disabled all of the other drives on the computer. But it simply will not boot. Please help.

Update:I finally did it! I had to use another computer, and I change to boot order of the USB drive. The other computer kept booting into the "u3" partition of the flash drive. And kept causing the computer to freeze.

But now I have another problem. I thought my DVD burner was Dual layered but it's not. And I'm going to have to purchase one. But I don't know which one to get.

I've read alot guides, even some here on afterdawn. But I'm still A little confused. Some guides say to use A samsung drive to rip xbox games, while others say to use A pioneer? do I need both? and what kind of software do I need? is "kreon" the best choice? or is there something better? and do I need to take apart the samsung drive every time I want to backup A 360 game?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

are you sure your mobo is capable of booting from a usb device?

3. ssj4_2004

ssj4_2004 Member

yes I went under bio's and enabled it.

I am using textbooks guide if that matters.

Edit2: after pluggin my drives back in, and trying to boot from the USB drive, it will show the letter "j" on the top of the screen. And then do nothing...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  4. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

thats when you type in the mtkflash command or samread/hack.
    It's called Dos

5. ssj4_2004

ssj4_2004 Member

Well, all I'm getting is the letter "j" I don't see A command line or anything... I can't type anything either. The only thing that ever appears on the screen is the letter j.

I'm going to hook up my computer, and try formatting the flash drive again. I'll report back if anything changes.

6. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

make sure the xbox is powered off when you hook it to your computer and dont turn it on until you get to the command line

7. ssj4_2004

ssj4_2004 Member

I formatted my flashdrive again (fat32) but it still goes to the "j" screen.

JThomas05, are You saying that I should connect my 360 at the honest-to-god command promt? or am I supposed to connect it at the screen that only says "j"?

Edit: has anyone tried this "toshiba-samsung auto installer"? I'm pretty sure I have to right version in order to use it. Does anyone know if it works well? I found it in the usual place...

Edit: I've tried the auto installer, same deal. Just A "j" in the top left-hand corner. And I can't do anything.

I've also tried using My iPod suffle as A USB drive. Pretty much the same deal as with the PNY, except it doesn't have A j in the corner. Just A flickering line.

And I don't know what to do from here. I'm at my wit's end with this thing, I've been trying to get it working fro 5-6 hours today. With no success.
    Anymore help/ideas/suggestions would be well appreciated.

8. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

connect the drive to the pc with both machines off, turn on the pc and boot to the dos command prompt, once you are at the command prompt, power on your 360, then type in your mtkflash w /m orig.bin command and then you will see some numbers, turn off your xbox, pick the number that corresponds to your sata chipset, wait 10 seconds, and turn the xbox back on and it will read the original firmware, do the same to flash the hacked firmware...

9. ssj4_2004

ssj4_2004 Member

Jtomas, I would like to try all of that, but I can't GET to the dos promt. All I get is blank screen with the letter j in the corner. Not the dos prompt as shown 3 minutes and 51 second into this video.

Shouldn't the prompt just show up when I boot from the USB drive? or do I have to load up something else first?

10. ssj4_2004

ssj4_2004 Member

I finally did it! I had to use another computer, and I change to boot order of the USB drive. The other computer kept booting into the "u3" partition of the flash drive. And kept causing the computer to freeze.

But now I have another problem. I thought my DVD burner was Dual layered but it's not. And I'm going to have to purchase one. But I don't know which one to get.

I've read alot guides, even some here on afterdawn. But I'm still A little confused. Some guides say to use A samsung drive to rip xbox games, while others say to use A pioneer? do I need both? and what kind of software do I need? is "kreon" the best choice? or is there something better? and do I need to take apart the samsung drive every time I want to backup A 360 game?