1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I seperate and convert video files from a DVD+R to a harddrive to play via a my wdtv player

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by johndr, Feb 25, 2010.

1. johndr

johndr Member

In recent years I have recorded programs on to DVD+r's using a Sony dvd recorder dvdr-hxd870, now moving with the times I have purchased a WDTV media player which plays files directly from a USB device. To date I have successfully Identified, separated and copied Vob files using Dvd decrypter (or Dvd Shrink) and converted to readable files using Auto GK or Handbrake on commercially produced DVDs.
    The format of the files on the sony produced DVD+r's however differs:instead of the normal Audio_TS and Video_TS files I get a Video_RM and a Video_TS. In the Video_TS files I gets .vob files separated by size (.99GB) so the second file might contain the end of one film and the beginning of a second and therefore seemingly impossible to separate. Another strange occurrence is that when I view the contents of the dvd it lists a duplicate of each file indicating a combined size in excess of 7GB even though the single layer dvd only has 4.7GB capacity.
    I would greatly appreciate if anyone could explain these anomalies or identify a program that can reverse sony's/dvd+r's filing structure and allow me to select and remove the features I want from the DVD+r's. Thanks

PS. the files in the Video_RM folder are: .BUP, .DAT and .IFO and in the video_TS are:.BUP, .VOB and .IFO and explanation of these will also be appreciated

2. attar

attar Senior member

AFAIK the RM folder only appears on +R disks, so switching to -R may solve that aspect.
    If DVD Shrink cannot open the files, try running FixVTS on the VIDEO_TS folder first.
    If it now opens the files, try Re-author mode to see if it can pick out individual Titles.