1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do they do that?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by trock0002, Apr 13, 2005.

1. trock0002

trock0002 Member

How do people backup thier full DVD, with menus and extras intact, and keep thier quality so good. I mean I know perfectly how to use DDecrypt and DVD Shrink to either back up the movie only with re-author or keep the full DVD with 50-70% compression, but here is the situation. Someone I know downloaded a copy of Oceans 12 via Bittorrent. It is a full DVD (menus/extras) and the quality is superb......just as good as my movie only back up. My actual question is, how did someone backup a full DVD with great quality like that to fit on a DVD5. When I tried to do the same thing with my original, the compress had to be so great that the quality suffered. Thanks ahead for your input.

2. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

DVD Rebuilder/CCE combo give best results

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

They probably left out some things you wouldn't notice like the big 5.1 Dolby Sound files or used custom compression ratios for the extras - setting the menus and deleted scenes to maximum compression so the movie would not have to be compressed so much. Do you use 'Analyze' before you compress/rip using Shrink? Do you change the level to 'Very Sharp'?

4. trock0002

trock0002 Member

Yes, when I have to compress I do that.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've encoded several complete dvd9's to dvd5 useing RB/CCE and can not see any quality loss on my 52" big screen although I usually use dvdremake on most dvd9's to edit out the previews, trailers, and warning screens leaving a functional menu, bloopers, and deleted scenes. I then use dvdrebuilder to remove any unwanted languages and captionings, encode with CCE and burn with nero. I can't tell any difference between the quality of my backups and the originals. The vidio file is usually around 7000-7500 MB after trimming.

6. bazzard

bazzard Member

I use DVD X Copy to backup the whole DVD with menus and extras. Can never see any drop in image quality, works fine everytime, DVD Shrink will do it too, but it doesn't like some of the bigger disks, but DVD X Copy copes with them no problem. Only ever had two disks that I've been unable to copy in full, due to weird copy protections.
    Layer Cake
    and
    Dirty Sanchez Series 2 - Dark Side
    If anyone knows how to back these up in full with menus, would be much appreciated.

7. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

The down side with using software like DvdXCopy is that when it burns, it will burn at MAX speed.

I'm still shocked that all those 1 click software doesn't let you configure/choose your burning speed :(

This is know as so many of us, now use Shrink and burn with Nero.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi cougar_ii,

I was just wondering, (I don't have DVDXCOPY, only DVDXCOPY Xpress, which I never use anymore) does XCOPY give you the option to save your encoded file to a folder that you could burn afterwards with nero?

9. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Hi Mort and Cougar,

I also hate that DVDXCopy doesn't let you select the max burn speed. Ridata 4X DVD+Rs will automatically burn at 8X and Verbatim 8X will burn at 12X! Even though the burns have been fine, I'm afraid the severe fragmentation after a rip will slow down my hard drive-to-burner transfer rate.
    The way around this that works for me is to save the ripped files on my hard drive and burn them later with Nero. When you get the DVDXCopy menu prompt to insert a blank DVD, just find the folder labelled 'DVDXCOPY' (you set the Temp folder on the main DVDXCopy screen). This folder has your VOBs, IFOs, etc. Rename the folder or move it. Then go back to the DVDXCopy screen and click 'Skip This Disc' (this deletes the temp folder 'DVDXCOPY', so hopefully, you renamed it). Do the same for the 2nd disc. Then you can burn as many copies as you want with Nero at a later time. :)
    P.S. I don't know if the 'Archive.txt' file in the parent directory is needed, but I always include it.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi DogBomb,

I was just curious as I no longer use XCOPY. I now have much better backup apps. My XCOPY Xpress came with my 451S burner and would let me backup the movie only not full disc. I never could figure out how to copy to a folder, burn with nero at 4x with my 1653S (which burns better and is compatable with more media than my 451S). There is also no way to set the target size that I am aware of like with RB/CCE, shrink, and recode. Thanks for the info, I might play with it sometime.

11. mfmtonyv

mfmtonyv Guest

Hi Mort81
    could you please tell me what's this RB/CCE and DVDremake you mentioned above? I know, I may sound totally "amateur" but it's just first time I hear about them and it's sounds very intresting.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2005
  12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi mfmtonyv,

Here is the link to DVD Remake. I use it along with RB/CCE on almost every backup. It will also work with other transcoder/encoder apps as well. I have used it several times with DVDCopy3. You will need to rip the original dvd to your hdd first (actually remake will rip if you have anydvd or dvd43 but I prefer to rip with dvd decrypter and anydvd running in the background). I can't remember the price of the app for sure (around $30 I think) but it is well worth the investment.
    Hope this helps. http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremake/index.php

Mort

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005