1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do we get 3.1u update ?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by abzilla, Feb 10, 2008.

1. abzilla

abzilla Member

Wiikey.cn is down, is there anywhere else to get the update to 3.1u?

I tiried big brain acadmey, donkey kong barrel blast, mario and sonic olympics, nothing.

Anyone know a link to the update iso?

Thanks

2. redrumbrg

redrumbrg Member

i believe the internet connect is the only way right now?

3. abzilla

abzilla Member

i didnt realize it before cuz my brother plays the wii more than me. He updated it to 1.9b 3.0(e?) to play Mario Galaxy. Now my wii is semi bricked. Not sure when it happened.

So I have a semi bricked wii, and I tried the listed games up there and still no update.

Do I really have to wait for wiikey to release an update? Or is there a for sure game that will do it?

Also, if I update it to 3.1u like that, is it gonna kill my wiikey?

Thanks in advance

4. clazzi

clazzi Member

3.0E? Maybe he used a PAL version of SMG. You'll need a NTSC version of SMG to fix the semi-brick. According to this anyway.

5. juniR

juniR Guest

OK - there is a thread here

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/597460

It has all everything you need to update and config your wiikey all the way up to 1.9g

No offense but all you had to do is look. ;)

As far as updating your actual Wii firmware to 3.1u then do it over the internet if possible as that is the best and safest way. Failing that use SMG but only as a last resort and only the correct region version of the game as updating with out of region will cause problems.

Any problems and solutions are all in that thread. eg. If you can't get the wiikey updated or configged etc... it's all there.

Take your time and read ;)

6. abzilla

abzilla Member

That's mean, I've been lookihng at everything, and that link was alrdy bookmarked. As you can see from my posts that I have tried it all, my main issue was ocnverting it to 3.1u, and you didn't read my post at all.

Thank you to the guy before you for posting something actually useful, I'll try downloading and using SMG U, hopefull that triggers the update.

Thanks.

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

For those telling the guy to use WiFi to update try reading his post again. He has a semi-bricked Wii. Anyone should know that a semi-brick issue means the settings are no longer available so updating via WiFi is no longer an option.

@abzilla

I think your a little confused.

3.1U/3.1E/3.1J are Wii system updates. It has nothing to do with Wiikey or any update that they may put out.

As far as I know Mario Galaxy has 3.1 firmware on it. So if he used a PAL version of the game then your NTSC(U) Wii probably has 3.1E firmware on it and that is what has semi-bricked your Wii.

The reason none of the above titles are updating the Wii is due to already having the 3.1 firmware installed so it thinks it has been updated with the latest firmware and skips the update.

If this is the case then you will need to wait until Nintendo releases a higher firmware above 3.1U on a game disc to possibly recover your system settings.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  8. juniR

juniR Guest

my bad - I missed that cos his first post was off the beaten track but there's no need to bash me for trying to help in any case.

2nd edit - I was a bit annoyed at that but didn't the guy before me post the same link? roflmfao

In fact you still need to read that thread and you just do what I said as well. Wifi dun work so you have to use SMG in your region. You still need the Wiikey firmware and config files etc....

Go figure eh?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Members can be so touchy these days. I hope you truly didn't think I was bashing you. If I was bashing you you would know it.

I was clearly pointing out the fact of the semi-brick issue.

If you can play Mario galaxy then the latest firmware 1.9G has been installed and there is no need for a Wiikey firmware update.

10. juniR

juniR Guest

Hey m8 - it was the "mean" crack I was alluding to and the criticism from the guy who needs help. I was wrong not to read the whole thread and I don't mind admitting it. I musta been distracted cos I don't usually do that but it's human error as opposed to cba which is what I get annoyed about and I'm sure you do too lol.

I will say this tho - If anyone gets a modchip fitted then they really should know the difference between the wiikey firmware and the wii firmware and also understand the dangers especially when letting others mess with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I totally agree with you.

I get irritated by those that ask how to update their Modchip. Then when you ask what Modchip was fitted in the Wii they reply I duno I bought it pre-modded.

If your going to buy a pre-modded Wii at least know what chip your getting.

In any case if anyone is going to buy a pre-mod or have a modchip fitted you should read and learn all you can before doing it. It amazes me how many users still come to this forum and start new threads about Wii brick/semi-brick issues.

12. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

i personally think its the brother who has dealt with updates etc in the past and maybe this person is trying to put right the mess

says 1.9b for mario galaxy when in fact its 1.9g

looks like he is waiting for a new game

13. abzilla

abzilla Member

yes ur right, my brother says he put 1.9b,not 1.9g, which is why im asking for help to update the firmware. Also, is mario galaxy 3.1 or 3.0? Regardless, it's in E. So now I'm downloading it in the US version, so hopefully that will update.

What would happen if i try to update to 1.9g if it's alrdy 1.9g, since my brother says its 1.9b?

thanks

14. juniR

juniR Guest

1.9g is needed for SMG - it won't fix the brick if that's what you are asking... It's just needed to play SMG.

tbh - If your machine is semi-bricked because he used the PAL SMG which would have taken it to 3.1E, you will need a higher firmware than 3.1U to fix it and larrylje has already told you this... now who ain't reading posts? ;)

I haven't read anywhere of SMG NTSC-U fixing a semi-brick from SMG PAL.

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You said your brother updated it to 1.9b 3.0(e?) to play Mario Galaxy. If you can successfully play Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii then he updated it with the 1.9g not 1.9b update. As stated numerous times above Super Mario Galaxy requires the 1.9g update in order to play. So there is no need to update the Wiikey if this is the case.

16. SpankyJ

SpankyJ Regular member

Super mario galaxy doesnt ask me to updatem ine from 3.0U to 3.1 U :(

17. abzilla

abzilla Member

KK, so then i guess i shud only worry about bringing it to 3.0U from 3.0E.

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

If he updated it via Super Mario Galaxy the Wii update would be 3.1E not 3.0E. So you will need to wait till Nintendo releases a game disc that has an update above 3.1U firmware to correct the region semi-brick issue. At this time there is nothing you can do about the region brick.

19. abzilla

abzilla Member

So even if the actual SSBB USA version comes out, I still wouldn't be able to update?

20. Yoohoo2G

Yoohoo2G Member

I updated my Wii via the link that Nintendo sent to me on December 16, so check your Wii email inbox.