1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you back up games with two forms of copy protection?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by IAIHMB, Aug 25, 2004.

1. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

I just purchased an ATI Radeon 9800 XT, which came with a promotional copy of Counter Strike Condition Zero. I always make disc images of my software in fear of damage or theft, but this time I couldn't no matter how hard I tried. Here is what I did:

-Scanned disc 1 and disc 2 with A-Ray Scanner 2.0.0.1, both showed signs of SecuROM 5.03.04.0031.

-Used the SecuROM *NEW (4.x/5.x) profile in Alcohol 120% 1.9.2.1705 with RMPS emulation enabled at the lowest possible read speeds.

When I mounted the image everything worked until I tried to get my CD key (in case my copy is different then retail, I have to register to get my CD key.) At this point I get the typical SecuROM error. This isn't going to well, so I went back and double checked my work:

-I set A-Ray Scanner 2.0.0.1 to scan files biggger than 20 MB also, this time both discs come up with SecuROM 5.03.04.0031 and StarForce Keyless.

From here I cannot proceed, what do I do? :( Thanks for any help guys, this has stumped me. :(

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

As good Ol' Nephilim would say

Blindwrite is the king of SecuROM
    And
    Alcohol 120% is the king of Safedisc

Try blindwrite.

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Give the latest Blindwrite 5 and Blindwrite Tweaker a shot at it m8. You'll need to create 2 BWA files (Blindwrite 5 automatically does this for you), read with sub-q channel data (96) at 4x and burn at 4x and label these backups "play discs." After burning both discs remove the BWA files from both folders and burn again and label "install discs." This doesn't apply if you own the Plex Premium :)Google up Blindwrite (VSO software) and BlindWrite Tweaker.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]MSI KT6V-LSR MS-7021
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (OC'd to 3200+)
    1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (OC'd DDR 400)
    MSI MS Starforce nVidia GeForce FX5500(256 DDR)
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM
    Lite-ON LDW411S DVD-Burner[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2004
  4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Not true m8. Many have reported success backing up Safedisc 3.2 using CloneCD or DiscDump and FireBurner, Paddus DiscJuggler and BlindWrite Suite 4.57 :)

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Sure enough, I just can't afford all those programs. I can afford a coaster or two to see which program will work.

I had clonecd but it blacklisted "Call of Duty" and so I couldn't play it with a backup, so I ununstalled clonecd and BAM! "Call of Duty" booted up.

Or am I just buggy and superstitiuos(did I spell that right)

6. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses, thanks guys. :p I looked at BlindWrite before, but never actually gave it a shot because it looked a little complicated. :(

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

You'll get, just have patience and a 100pk of cd-r ready for coasting.

Like I did. HA ;P
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]new pic coming soon so stay tooned![/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  8. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

Hrm, no luck with BlindWrite 5.2.3. :(

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Did you create 2 "install discs" and 2 play discs"?
    Did you enable autorun via Blindwrite Tweaker?
    You may have better luck using the Blindwrite BWA Builder and "manually" creatin your BWA files. If Blindwrite 5 fails you, you can try Blindwrite Suite 4.57. PM for more info. Also, what name brand drives are you using?
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM

10. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

Oh, I completely skipped the settings, :p Ill try it with them. I am also disappointed that I cannot use the BlindWrite files correctly with Alcohol 120%s virtual drives. :(

11. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

You replied before I did again, I'll try one more time. 3 more programs added, I hate having so many. :(

12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Don't bother attempting to mount SecuROM backups m8, it's a waste of time as the backup is "modified".(BWA file)The BWA file on the cd-r is specifically designed to bypass the SecuROM cd scheme. I never had any luck mounting my "play disc" of SecuROM 4.83-4.85 and have them spin up and run, even with SecuROM emulation enabled :)
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM

13. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

Hrm, hopefully there is a way to do it. :p I have done it before, but I can't remember on which title (it had to be Unreal Tournament 2004, Far Cry, Hitman Contracts, or Painkiller.) Thanks for the help though. :)

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Within the last week I've become a true believer in BlindWrite 4.57. As it stands now I don't think it gets any better than BW5 and 4.57.

I managed to make a working copy of Doom 3 with A120 but the copy I made with BW 4.57 verifies much quicker which, unless I'm mistaken, indicates a more accurate copy.

I'd always believed A120 was better for SafeDisc but that was last week...........

15. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Im gonna have to check out Blindwrite 4.57

Describe "more accurate"
    whate have you noticed in the new backup than the one from AL120

16. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

I was able to make the backups with Alcohol 120%, it loaded kind of slow though and I didn't want to back it up on another disc. :( Do you guys think overall that Blindwrite is better, or has more possibilites? I am trying to narrow down, I have 49 damn programs installed. :(

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Just that it verifies quicker, almost as quick as the original whereas the A120 copy takes a few seconds :)

I sure do. I had a bit of doubt when BW 5 didn't dupe Doom 3 but after Master Shoey-san showed me the way of 4.57 my faith in BW is stronger than ever :)

18. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

Is there a reason you are using 4.57? I believe the newest version is 5.23. :(

19. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I can't say that Blindwrite Suite 4.25 or 4.57 is better than Alcohol 120%, but I can say the program is "equal" to. Sure BW 4.25 or 4.57 doesn't have all the features Alcohol 120% has, however, from reading many posts at other forums, people are having great success with BW 4.57 making working backups of Doom 3 and SecuROM cd protection. 49 buring applications installed? This shouldn't be so m8. Note that when installing Alcohol 120%, "autoplay" is installed by default and needs to be disbled to verify that your Safedisc and SecuROM backups really do work. If you can get a working backup of Doom 3 with Blindwrite Suite 4.57, then stick with this program m8 and uninstall what you don't need. Although you don't see the Plextor Premium in my hardware is the simple fact that I have 2 pc's to maintain and keep up, more "hardware" is updated but I assure everyone the Plex Premium will be in one of my systems soon. I personally endorse the Plex Premium as I know it is by far the "elite" cd burner, literally "king"! If you need Blindwrite Suite 4.25 or 4.57, PM me and we'll go from there. The VSO (Blindwrite) team openly admits that Blindwrite 5 is a failure because the program stuggles to backup Safedisc.

20. IAIHMB

IAIHMB Member

49 programs in all, :p for backing up I have Nero, A-Ray, and Alcohol.