1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you charge the psp with a normal USB cable?

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by chaosnova, Sep 16, 2007.

1. chaosnova

chaosnova Guest

Title. The house is being renovated, so I lost my charger in the process... and I really really want to play the new final fantasy, so can someone please tell me if it is possible to use a normal USB cable and my computer to charge my PSP? Thanks a lot!
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. LeadBaron

LeadBaron Regular member

I think there is a special psp charger to charge via USB, but you'd be better off buying a new wall charger.
  4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

with the regular psp, it won't work; it can only do transfers. but if you have a psp slim, it will charge.
  5. chaosnova

chaosnova Guest

damnit, any alternatives, like a program that can facilitate such power for my old PSP?
  6. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

the usb port on the old psp wasn't designed with charging in mind, it was transfers only. but on the psp slim, it was redesigned to be able to charge and transfer.

best bet is to bum off a friend to charge or to get a second charger
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  7. chaos_zzz

chaos_zzz Member

there's a usb data and charge cable, and it's like 9 + tax bucks you shoudl get a wall charger anyway you are going to need one anyway.
  8. chaosnova

chaosnova Guest

F man... my view of afterdawn's expertise just went down a level. I'd expect someone to pop up a reliable link telling me a good place to download something that could aid my problem, but it seems that I've been failed.
  9. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

downloading a program wouldn't work. the usb port does not provide power to the system. like leadbaron and chaos_zzz suggested, there are usb cables designed to charge and link. it's not a regular usb cable; it has plugs that goes into the usb port and power socket.
  10. LeadBaron

LeadBaron Regular member

^^Which will cost you about as much as a regular wall charger, so theres no point.
  11. XTurboX

XTurboX Member

12. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

13. chaosnova

chaosnova Guest

Allegro, thanks a lot, and sorry.

Just by curiosity, is this site's shipping COMPLETELY free?

Secondly, that link you gave me.. the usb works, but people report the charger not charging... I browsed the site for like an hour looking for a charger, but to no avail. Still, I really love what this site has!

If its shipping is 100% free, it's going on my top sites ever list.
  14. pcrazy99

pcrazy99 Regular member

I bought a car charger that has a USB plug on the end. I still have to plug into the charging port on the PSP but I can charge it off my PC now.
  15. HakatoX

HakatoX Member

you can always take a USB cable and cut it
    strip the red , and the black.
    twist the other wires together and tape em.
    look at the bottom of the PSP and look at the exposed metal tabs
    red to positive
    black to negative
    (the symbol on the side shows the corresponding connections)
    or you can cut a charge tip off another dead charger and fix red to red and black to black

hope that helps
  16. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

Don't try to charge with the PSP's USB port, use the USB plug to draw power to the PSP's charging jack (unless your charging jack is broken),

Yes shipping is completely free, but it took over 8 days to process my order, it allegedly shipped via air mail on the 28th and my order still hasn't arrived.

Like the website states, it's cheap gadgets from China so be prepared to get "junk" once in a while. I read that some of their huge capacity PSP batteries have no more capacity than the standard battery so I just bought the standard one and for $7, even if it is a cheap knock off of the Sony, it's good enough.