1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you copy subtitles with Shrink

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PennRon, Mar 9, 2005.

1. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

Hi:

I have backed up most of my collection and have noticed a strange thing with some of my backups. I guess every DVD has a stream of subtitles in different languages that you can copy but I'm not talking about the entire subtitle stream.

Take Kill Bill for instance. There are only parts of the movie where subtitles appear. When I backup that dvd I do not get the subtitles when they are talking in Japanese to each other other.

I have tried every setting with checking and unchecking the subtitle boxes. I have tried re-author and even a full backup. Nothing worked.

This seems to have happened with a few other backups, Kill Bill 2 and Cinema Paradiso to name a few. The way I got it to work was to first use Decrypter to read it and then have shrink use that iso file instead of reading it directly from the original DVD with shrink. This is extra work. Anyone else have this problem?

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I had the same problem using DVD X Copy. There are 2 different English subtitles, one for the whole movie, one just for the Japanese parts.

You know what's weird though? When I watched the movie a second time all the subtitles are like they should be.

3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

4. djlen

djlen Regular member

I have had a problem with subtitles on some movies as well.
    I have backed up my set of Band of Brothers(none of which have English subs. listed as an option) and some of them have come out without my being able to access the subs. even from my TV subtitle menu.
    Will the above solution force subtitles on all movies?

Len

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i only ever do 'movie only' using dvd shrink, and have never had a problem with subtitles/or had to anything at all to get them copied. i just cycle tgru the subtitle choices when playing the burnt movies on standalone players, or often (on my players) subtitles usually play automatically. no big deal i just use the remote to turn em off

Rich

6. djlen

djlen Regular member

When you 'force' subtitles, is it still possible to turn them off if one wants to?
    The link that zippyd gives is a good one and very easy and understandable. I will try it, but there are also some movies that I want to turn the subs. off on. Just want to make sure that this will be possible.
    creaky, I have had good success with most back-ups, but for some reason certain movies(Band Of Brothers for one), come out with them available and some don't.
    The dialog in that movie and some others is very important and in some cases hard to pick up. I don't want to lose anything in the 'translation'.

Len

7. creaky

Sorry, just noticed my reply didn't actually offer anthing helpful :(

what i meant to add is that i don't do anything at all, and there's always 1 or more subtitle 'streams' included. i've not had one single film fail to have subtitles included - the reason i know all films i copy, have subs included is that my players always play em automatically whether i need em or not.

guess i'm just lucky or i don't de-select enough stuff when i copy

Rich

8. zippyd

zippyd Active member

creaky

If you're using reauthor mode then you can choose "hide subpicture" when you select default streams.

In full disc mode there are a couple of options to play around with in Shrink's preferences. The first is "Logical remapping of streams" and the second is "disable all subpictures except menus and forced"

9. creaky

cheers zippyd, however i won't ever deselect anything as i'm fine with subs, and movie only compression is great for my old eyes. Plus shrink is so simple i don't find the need to do any more than drag movie only over to the left, unclick audio streams and unclick foreign bits and bobs

Rich

10. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Thought I'd offer....

11. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

zippyd:

What exactly is "forcing" a subpicture? Will this solve the problem or is it just an alternative method of getting an included subtitle for the entire DVD?
    Thanks...Regards

12. creaky

soz zippyd, i omitted the obvious - thanks for the info, it's just that i personally don't need to change anything, it's nice to know how it works. It's just i have a goldfish memory and am overly good at forgetting things i might want to know later on !

Rich

13. zippyd

zippyd Active member

"forcing" a subtitle only works in reathor mode. Basically what you are doing by "forcing" is setting the default subtitle stream. It sets the instructions for your dvd player to play that stream when the disc plays. There are also options to hide subpicture streams and let your dvd player decide. I usually choose to hide them unless the situation calls for me to force them for parts of the movie that translate a foreign language. If I don't choose hide, then my dvd player starts off playing them and I manually turn them off with the dvd player remote.

14. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

Zippyd:

Thank you. Your answer was very clear and consise. I will now dig up my original Kill Bill and experiment with some dvd-rw's. Regards...

15. djlen

djlen Regular member

And THAT is the answer I was asking for.
    I wasn't clear on if when 'forcing' them, you could still turn them off. Thanks.

Len

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005