1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you erase dvd+rw's

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by riktiktu, Jan 8, 2005.

1. riktiktu

riktiktu Guest

I have quite a few dvd+rw's with movies on them and I can't seem to copy over them. someone said you need to erase them first. does anyone have the answer?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

1: your in the wrong forum.
    2: what burning program are you using & this is not meant as an insult but have you done a R.T.F.M.D. (Read The F***ing Manual Dummy)

3. riktiktu

riktiktu Guest

This is only my 2nd post and I tried to find a forum that fit and I wasn't sure so I chose this one to avoid a black mark. I'm a senior citizen trying to learn what I can and it isn't easy. Especially, when you ask for help and the only response you get is from a senior (member)intent on chastizing instead of helping kinda of reminds me of highschool and I'm the "freshmen".

Perhaps, someone might be kind enough to direct me to the proper forum.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Since you already are here try this. Most burning programs like Nero and Roxio should have the option to erase RW cds and dvds. In Nero you can open up Nero Express, click the MORE button at the bottom and the ERASE buton is there.
    Also try clicking MY COMPUTER, then right click your burner drive and select PROPERTIES. Should be a format or erase setting there too.

Jerry

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

6. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

You should have posted it in the Media forum
    (a link to there was provieded by ddp)
    but, o well.

I use Nero (if you have it), go into Nero StartSmart, make sure "DVD" is selected in the upper right corner.
    Then select "Extras" which is the farthest tab to the right. Click Erase Disk. If you want to rewrite to the disk (as you stated in your 1st post) then you can select "Quick-erase ReWriteable disk", this should enable you to rewrite to your dvd+rw disk. If you can't rewrite to it, go back into Nero and see if it will let you do a "Full-erase ReWriteable disk" this physically erases the RW and takes about 25 minutes on my Sony 2.4x DVD+RW burner (i do not know how long it takes to erase a disk at a faster speed such as 4x).

If you want to erase your +RW for free, and you don't own Nero, you can use DVDInfoPro (Free), which you can get here:
    http://www.dvd-recordable.org/wwwimgs/media/flash/dvdinfopro/dvdinfoadvert.zip

You can also use DVD Decrypter if you have that (it is also free) you can download it from here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

P.S. if you have any further questions, feel free to post them or Private Message me.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  7. riktiktu

riktiktu Guest

Thanks, guys. Here's what I've done so far. the "my computer" suggestion didn't work, no erase feature.(teac DVD+RW DV-W58E)
    I have dvd xcopy xpress 3.2.1.0. and that's the program I used to record on the +rw. I couldn't find anything on xcopy that would allow me to erase. I checked out dvd-infopro, however I get the impression that the erase is only recommended once. I was looking to re-use the +rw multiple times. Since my xcopy has been giving me problems....I like to copy to a +rw first hence, I don'ruin a good dvd.
    As for Nero..would that cause a conflict with my other programs. (I know that more than one antivirus program on your system can)I have a disc that says "Nero cd burner" It's not installed...is that what I nees? If not, is there a download for Nero? I also have a program called "sonic" that came with my computer.....does that have an erase feature? Haven't looked into DVD Decrypter yet. read about it in different forums...sounds like I may not be advanced enough for the program or is it not that complicated?

Also, this is for ddp........maybe I misunderstood, I thought you were telling me to get my own info from my own manual. If that's not the case then what is a R.T.F.M.D

8. Veblin

Veblin Active member

I would say your impression is wrong.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  9. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

It may act that way but, on almost every DVD+/-RW label, they say you can ReWrite to the DVD hundreds or thousands of times.

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Also DVD X COPY EXPRESS version 321 will automatically overwrite a RW disc that has a movie on it. This was my first burning program before I found this forum, so I know it can do that. It should ask if you want to overwrite the disc when you insert the RW disc for burnback.

Jerry

11. riktiktu

riktiktu Guest

Jerry, do you mean that "overwrite" won't appear until I insert the RW and actually start the copy procedure? because I've never seen the "overwrite" feature before, then again I've never tried to do what you suggested.Ibought and installed xpress 3.2.1.0 on 1/18/04......is this the program you're referring to?

Pop Smith...are you referring to "DVD INFOPRO"?

Does anyone know if DVD Decrypter is a simple or complex program and would you recommend it to someone with limited computer experience?

also, does anyone know if "Nero" will cause a conflict with "xcopy xpress" if both are installed? Sorry, Im not that knowledgeable.

ddp....you asked me "if I had done a R.t.F.M.D." I still need to know what that is? can anyone else answer me.
    thanks to all for your help.

Newbie senior citizen

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Yes that is the same version Of Express I have. Its been quite a while since I have used it but I'm pretty sure thats what happens. When it asks for the blank disc, you insert the RW and it should say something like disc is not empty-- do you want to erase it. It may say format it I can't remember. I do know that I always used a RW disc first as a test before burning a regular blank disc and never had to erase it as step by itself.

Jerry

13. riktiktu

riktiktu Guest

thanks Jerry, will give it a try. by the way, what program are you using now and if i may ask....why don't you use xcopy anymore?

14. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

@riktiktu, yes I am referring to DVDInfoPro.
    I would recommend using DVD Shrink, if you want you can still use DVDXCopy Xpress as it is more straight foward, . But, if you want to try a better program, which is free, you can get it and a guide (if needed) here:

DVD Shrink:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    DVD 9 to DVD 5 (aka DVD+/-R(W)) using DVD Shrink Guide:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

I am sorry if i caused any confusion.

15. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

My first choice for dvd backups at this time is CloneDVD2 that works in conjunction with AnyDVD as the decrypter. X copy Express was Ok but wasn't reliable enough and had too many conflicts with other programs. CloneDVD and AnyDVd if purchased together are less than $70. for both. Well worth the money. If you would like to try them out they both have a full working trial download for I think 15 days. You can get them off the software tab at page top.

Jerry

16. riktiktu

riktiktu Guest

pop smith....as to DVD shrink, is that a better program just for erasing +rw's or

Pop Smith, you recommend DVD Shrink.......is that for erasing +rw's only? also, you said that xpress was more "straight forward"....are you referring to the progranm as a whole or just for erasing +rw's. what do you mean by "straight forward"? also, are you saying that you like DVD Shrink better than DVD infropro. Remember, I'm not all that experienced but I managed DVD Xpress fine until the program started giving me the same problems that everyone is experiencing.....'Do you find "shrink" to be fairly simple?

Jerry, I'll ask you the same question regarding the two programs you recommended....do you recommend them for someone with limited software/computer knowledge.....Express was simple for me....on a scale of 1-10 (10 being quite complex)....how would you rate CloneDVD2 and AnyDvd.
    Do these programs cause conflicts with any other programs....if so which ones?

Any feedback from anyone.appreciated.

I'm really really crippled when it comes to figuring out and fixing software or technical problems

Jerry, where do I go to find out the programs that xcopy has conflicts with.....that could be why I'm having problems with my xcopy....worked fine for 6 months, then nothing but problems. or, are you allowed to discuss that with me in this forum...not sure. thanks.

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I would place Clone & Anydvd at about a 3. Very easy to use but not a 1 clicker. You don't do anything to Anydvd but open it, then the icon sits in the system tray. Then open Clone, pick Clone dvd, then you browse to your dvd drive and select it. Then next screen is split, left side is preview window, right side is a list of everything on the dvd with a check box in front.As you click each line it plays in the window. If you want to keep it leave it checked. If you don't want it uncheck it. The more you uncheck the better quality you get. When done click next and you do the same with audio section. Then click burn when your done. Very easy after 1st use.

Jerry

18. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

19. riktiktu

riktiktu Guest

thanks jerry, will try the programs ( and the forum)