1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you force dvd writer to write at 1x speed?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Kaydash, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

Okay heres the story i love writing at one speed because it just the way i like to write....don't ask! Okay anyway i use dvd decrypter to write. It never wants to write at 1x speed for me even when i set it. Okay but one day i bought a dvd blank that actuali burnt at 1x speed which made me overwhelm with joy. I wrote about 3 or 4 that day. Then the next day i try and it back to just writing at 4x speed only! How can i get it to write at 1x speed again? tryed updating firmware etc.no luck....

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Your burner's firmware determines what write speeds are available for a particular media. For example, my NEC 3540 will only write an 8X rated Verbatim +R at 4x, 6x, or 8x because that's what the write strategies in the firmware allow for that media. It'll write a 16x rated Verbatim at 4, 6, 8, 12, or 16x. Decrypter will list all speeds available for a particular media. A good rule of thumb is to burn at half the media's rated speed. If you really want to write at 1X, you'll probably need to find some older 4X rated media. Quite honestly, you'll get better burns from some of the newer media writing at higher speeds. Some of the 16X media makes higher quality burns at 8X than 4X.

3. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

yeah i know but the thing is that this media in one spindle wrote at 1x speed one day and only wrote at 4x speed the next day??? I wana know how to get it to write at 1x speed again....

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

maybe you're using crap media ?

5. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

No don't think so because i bought it from my a major music store and plus checked it's media id and it is know to be okay or good media. I have a LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B writer. I have tried test burns on every other disc in the spindle and no luck even bought another one and still no luck

6. creaky

so what is the media ??

7. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

Evodisc. ID: TT0G2 i think, or something similar.

8. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Does DVD Decrypter actually indicate that 1X is a supported burn speed? It'll list the supported speeds in the righthand window when you're in the write mode.

The media is likely made by TDK. People are divided on how good TDK media is. I wouldn't say it's the best.

9. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

no 4x and 8x speed are but it wrote 3 of those blanks at 1x speed. That's what i don't understand!

10. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

It may have tried 4X but if the media was such that 4X wasn't possible, it would have used whatever speed it could generate for the burn. Poor quality media or media that the firmware doesn't recognize will often burn at speeds below that specified. It is also possible your burner was in PIO mode rather than DMA mode and that may have accounted for the burn speed. There may have been a bottleneck getting data to the burner from the hard drive causing the burn rate to decrease. There are many possibilities. Trying to burn at 1X is rather foolish from my point of view no matter the reason. Many people have done many experiments and new media burns better at higher speeds than 1X. Many people are posting because of difficulties getting higher burn speeds. But to each his own.

11. creaky

12. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

Okay here's why i burn at 1x. I lend my games to people a lot but want to play them while i len them so i need to back them up onto dvd blanks. My PS2 is old and reads any media best at 1x. When i burn at 4x or higher i get many many boot problems and have to reset over and over until game finally boots....

13. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

OK, sounds reasonable but find some older media that'll burn at 1X, like some 4X. Try to get decent quality stuff though. Be sure to set the speed in Decrypter to 1X after you insert the media.

14. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

okay but still dont understand why that other media burned 4 dvds at one then the rest at 4x.

15. Kaydash

Kaydash Regular member

do you know any south african online media stores?