1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get DVD to play on DVD-Rom or DVD players?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by belluch, Sep 16, 2002.

1. belluch

belluch Guest

I was able to successfully burn a back-up of a DVD movie but I am only able to play it on the DVD burner. Is there a way to get it to play elsewhere?

2. DrDVD

DrDVD Member

The whole DVD authoring process is a minefield. I can tell you I still step on them! A couple of things to check. Is the DVD-R media you are using compatible with your set top box? 'www.lynxdv.co.uk' will sell you media and they also have a handy lookup chart to see if your machine will play it. Also VCDHELP has similar info.
    Secondly, how are you authoring? If you are making a backup of a DVD then if you use IFOEDIT correctly (there are loads of guides on the IFOEDIT site) a DVD burning program should be all you need. I use NERO (latest version) and I burn using the DVD VIDEO option. You can have issues if IFOEDIT is not used correctly, but I found all my answers on the AFTERDAWN forum.

3. Modman

Modman Guest

Mr DVD,

I ahve a problem here just a small one, Then I go through the entire process of editing the main movie onto 2 dvd-r. Then I go to burn the movie on Nero and this is what i get

OK I have the same version as you but I did a dvd-9 so I 2 disc to burn this is what the first one loooks like

VIDEO_TS.BUP 18,432
    VIDEO_TS.IFO 18,432
    VIDEO_TS.VOB 39,358,464
    VTS_01_0.BUP 67.584
    VTS_01_0.IFO 67,584
    VTS_01_0.VOB 12,288
    VTS_01_1.VOB 1,073,516,544
    VTS_01_2.VOB 1,073,455,104
    VTS_01_3.VOB 592,035,840

and for seond disc I have the same files just some are bigger that's all. Now when I go to burn it, following all the forms I come up with unable to burn at 1x
    Could it be the disc that I am using hehe I am using this General DVD-R disc cheap disc. I don't my computer has nothing to do with.

Do you thing it is my disc should i swicth to a higher quality.

4. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

5. Modman

Modman Guest

Damn it stupid Nero. I go to burn and then it goes then all of a sudden it STOPS AND SHOWS

COMMUNATION ERROR

What does that mean I have no programs running in the background only Nero and I did follow the process from the link. COuld it be a hardware problem

Modman

6. DrDVD

DrDVD Member

Modman,

There is a good chance your media is to blame. As somebody once told me: A BMW costs more than a SKODA. Why? (Apart from the normal German mark-up because it's a BMW). Basically go to the site that make your burner and see if they list known working brands. The LYNXDV site mentioned in an earlier response will sell DVD-R media and supply a list of machines that will play it. I have a Pioneer 104 and use PRINCO DVD-RW and LYNX DVD-R and I have had no problems at all.