1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get more memory on a computer?

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Aubrea, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Aubrea

Aubrea Member

i'm having troubles with the sims 2 and the memory for the game. Everything else is fine now but the memory i have 128MB RAM for it and it needs 256MB RAM. Do i need a new memory card or what?

2. onya

onya Guest

The short answer to your question is yes. Just a guess that your experiencing lagging and other frustrating occurances. A system update may now be in order to get you happy again. If you are unsure of what type of RAM and speed you have currently, then take your machine in to your local shop and get at least 1 GIG of RAM if the budget allows. If you can keep your current memory stick along with a new one, then at least it won't go to waste. Don't forget that your video card may need an upgrade, for games to run more smoothly. We're not talking massive upgrades here, view them as system updates.

If you know what type of RAM you have and the motherboard brand and model, this will give us all a better opportunity to advise you of possible needs. With an increase in RAM capacity alone, you'll notice a distinct difference in overall speed with all games and apps.

3. Aubrea

Aubrea Member

so your saying if my memory card is still good then go and get a new one to put with it?

4. onya

onya Guest

Again the answer is yes. If you upgrade the RAM, keep the existing RAM module....this makes sense yeah? It increases the total memory capacity. Now here's a point to consider, if your motherboard only supports a certain amount of RAM, and the cost is acceptable to you, it may well be worth scrapping that stick in placement of better units. You may have only 4 slots to place memory sticks into......so do the math. For eg: 4x 512=2 gig or perhaps you may wish to add a 1 Gig stick, giving you 1128gb or thereabouts in RAM. The most important requirement is that the added memory modules are compatible with your motherboard. Is all this making sense to you so far?

EDIT: Cant add up for crap

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  5. Aubrea

Aubrea Member

okay thanks alot!