1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do you get rid of the .exe extension

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by madmax123, Feb 5, 2003.

1. madmax123

madmax123 Guest

i have some .bin and some .iso files but they all have a .exe extension this is waht they look like

filename.bin.exe

and sice there is a .exe extension non of the programs like alchol 120% or nero will dectect them.I hace tride right clicking on them then properties. but the name goes back to the way it was

thanks in advance

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The file extensions must be hidden. In any folder, click tools - folder options (will be under view in an older windows os). Click view and untick the "Hide Extensions For Known Filetypes" tickbox. Click apply and click ok. Now go to your files and right click and click rename. Remove the .exe extension!

3. bigfree1

bigfree1 Guest

This question is too funny!

Almost as funny as someone asking:

How do I pee without it getting on my hands?

Some people......???

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You know, this is the 'new Windows generation'. We older people who got in touch with DOS before Windows (or that had to run DOS applications under Windows) all know what 'renaming', 'command prompt', 'size in bytes' and such similar things are, but many 'point-and-click' Windows users often do not know how things work in their PC.
    I assume this is due to the OS, now much easier to use, but with the drawback that users often do things without knowing what's inside...

5. veezix

veezix Guest

I don't think you guys are catching what he's asking. A lot of people have the problem that when they DL a file, it has the extension filename.bin.exe. He CAN see the .exe extension and wants to remove it, because CDRWin and others don't recognize this as an image. I've read in other threads that some people try to cut off the .exe extension but can't get the file type to change - it goes back to bin.exe or the harddrive just continuously kicks. I think that's what he's saying here. I haven't had that problem myself, but I do know that Nero will burn the file as an image, even if it ends in bin.exe.

BTW, DOS sucks. :|

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2003
  6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

People that have trouble renaming files should get an iMac. It's a computer especially designed for idio...individuals with no computer skills.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2003
  8. veezix

veezix Guest

Well, I can't argue with that. Windows does just keep getting worse and worse. Whatever happened to PopDos? Remember that?