1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you make a conventional DVD from an HDTV source?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by singjai, Mar 7, 2007.

1. singjai

singjai Member

I sometimes record my favorite TV shows with a DVD recorder and save them to DVD--at least until they're released on commercial DVD (call me superficial, but I prefer seeing the nice packaging on my shelf). Looking at my new HDTV I find myself thinking that a conventional DVD made from a superior source such as HDTV might look better than one made from a non-HDTV source. And I wondered how I might do this.

So I searched this and other forums repeatedly and came up blank on all counts. And started wondering if this sort of thing is even possible. I don't think my search arguments have been that lame, but if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

any converting program will change whatever into whatever. if you are doing full HD (1080i or 1080p) youll need encoding progs that do full hd, like tmpgenc xpress 4. most other progs like tmpgenc xpress 3 will be able to handle up to 720 (half HD). it wont look any better. a 720 res video converted to 480 will look no better than well encoded 480 from the start. they will both just be a high quality 480. now, obviously normal tv is not broadcast in what i would consider to be the best picture quality they can get out of 480, so in that case yes, a 480 dvd made from an hd source will generaly look better than a 480 dvd made from a normal tv rip.

and if you need the fancy packaging just head on over to www.cdcovers.cc to download your tv shows dvd covers (and disk art if you have a disk printer) and buy covers from supermediastore.com or something, they are 19.95 for 100.