1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you play cd/mp3/2-channel audio sources from a PS3 over all speakers of a surround system?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by yuvalnv, Feb 20, 2008.

1. yuvalnv

yuvalnv Member

Hi,

I have PS3 & Sony DG 910 Home Theater Receiver (With 5.1 Polk Audio speakers). The system is properly installed & calibrated. I can listen to surround sound with DVD/Set Top Box.

My problem is that I cannot listen to Audio CD/MP3/DivX movies with surround (all my speakers). Only the two front speakers work. It seems like a PS3 issue, since the receiver is showing the blue light (i.e. it gets surround from PS3).
    Another user has a question about this similar sitation:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080129225150AAq0f9K

This is very annoying - I have very good Sony components but I can't listen to music properly.

My PS3 is connected to the receiver through HDMI.
    Is there any setting I can change?
    Why the PS3 sending the 2ch singal as a surround signal with the other channels being block?

I listened to a DVD of an old movie (2CH) and it does get to the receiver as 2CH not surround (which is good as the receiver "makes" it become surround).
    so the problem seems to be in the PS3 Audio decoding, but not with audio of DVDs.

Thanks
    Yuval

2. MORSTE

MORSTE Member

Go to sound settings and only tick 2ch ones or just tick automatic.

3. yuvalnv

yuvalnv Member

Automatic does not work.
    Ticking only the 2CH will probably work, as PS3 is forced to 2CH.
    But then I don't have surround any longer...When I watch BluRay/DVD (or play) with 5.1 surround it will output as 2 channel...
    So I have a high quality 7.1 receiver + high quality speakers + blu ray player (=PS3) but no surround?

4. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Most audio systems won't output music through all channels. The only way mine will is if it is connected through analogue cables and is set to 5ch stereo mode. My old receiver wouldn't do it at all. My new receiver is Yamaha by the way.

5. yuvalnv

yuvalnv Member

Well - I am not expecting PS3 to output on all channels. On the contrary, I actually want it to output as 2CH, but it is outputting audio as a buggy hybrid of stereo and 5.1 - it is 5.1, but only channels have data. The other are with silence ('zero').
    This awkward configuration makes my receiver simply output it as 5.1 - so it is output to all speakers, but I hear only two - those front channels that get data.
    Since the signal is 5.1 my receiver does not allow me to use multi stereo (duplicate the front channels to the back)...