1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you play video.ts on a PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by bigidiot1, Feb 17, 2008.

1. bigidiot1

bigidiot1 Member

I have several large video.ts files from a HD satellite broadcast that I want to play on my PS3. These files are on my PC hard drive. They play fine on my PC using VLC player, but I want to watch them on my HDTV, not my computer.

How can I do this? I do not want to 'downconvert' to MPEG-2 and burn a regular DVD.

a) convert to .mp4? HOW?

b) other? HOW?

Thanks much in advance. I'm stumped.

2. Sudds

Sudds Active member

I used alot of encoders in my time, but the best of all is MeGui.
    Here is a link to get you started, all the info and links you need are there. ;P

3. bigidiot1

bigidiot1 Member

wow. I looked for days online and could not find that. That is exactly what I have been looking for.

THANKS

4. Sudds

Sudds Active member

No bother mate. ;P

5. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Hey there bigidiot1, why don't you just repack the streams into a different container? That way you don't have to recode at all. tsMuxeR will do the trick. Just repack the streams from the ts file into a m2ts file and that will be 100% compatible with the PS3. Providing the video stream is mpeg2, AVC/h264 or VC-1. As far as I know most DTV broadcasts are mpeg2. You mentioned that you don't want to down-convert to mpeg2. Did you know that mpeg2 can be used for HD (1080p, 1080i, 720p) media too? I am not sure about your Country but I live in Australia and all the HDTV captures I have done have been in mpeg2 and Dolby Digital (AC3).

See this thread... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809

BTW, as Sudds mentioned MeGUI is an excellent application and it is a must have for any digital video enthusiast.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  6. Smoggie80

Smoggie80 Member

I came across a TS file for the 1st time today, they came from Rapidshare via a HD music video.
    I honestly didn't know what to do with it, so after searching around, i downloaded a conversion tool that done absolutely nothing for me to play it on the PS3. Finally! after a 3rd search, some clever clogs said rename it .mpg.
    Lo and behold, plays great on the PS3.

7. bigidiot1

bigidiot1 Member

OK - here's what happened when I renamed the video.ts to an mpg. BTW, the file size is 3.1GB.

a) the mpg file played fine on my PC.

b) I burned/copied the mpg file to a single layer DVD. Good TY media, never a coaster.

c) First Try = PS3 sees the DVD, but can't see the mpg file on the disc.

d) Second Try = created a folder named 'VIDEO', and put the mpg file in that folder. Result = PS3 sees the DVD, and the VIDEO folder on it, but can't see the mpg file.

e) for both c and d above, the 'info' you get when you hit triangle, says the disc has 0KB of data on it.

f) also FYI, both burnt DVD's play fine the mpg file just fine in the PC.

g) the program used to burn/copy the mpg file to the DVD is Imgburn, using the new version that let's you copy files/data.

What am I missing? Is there a mpg file limitation size?

8. bigidiot1

bigidiot1 Member

Ryu77 and crew -

I am using tsmuxer to create the m2ts output file. It'll be ready in an hour.

How should this file be placed onto a DVD so the PS3 recognizes it?

a) file all by itself?

b) in a folder called VIDEO?

c) in a folder tree called PS3 --> VIDEO ---> myfile.m2ts ?

Help - I don't have many DVD blanks left!

9. bigidiot1

bigidiot1 Member

By the way, the video.ts file was listed in tsmuxer as an MPEG2 stream at 50fps, 720p, with AC3 sound.

Will the sound of the m2ts output file be in 5.1 or DTS or whatever multichannel sound the native video.ts file sound was in?

10. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

tsMuxeR shouldn't take an hour to repeck the streams. I have found it to be very quick.

How big is your file? If it is over 4gb, then you have two options... 1) Split the file into 4gb or less segments, then drop it onto a USB flash drive or external HDD. 2) Burn the file onto a dual layer DVD.

In regards to where in the directory it should be placed, if you create a structure like this... VIDEO/myfile.m2ts, then the PS3 will recoginise the media straight from the video tab on the XMB. If you have it in the root directory then you can press the triangle button to access all files.

Yes, tsMuxeR is repacking the streams so that means they are directly streamed from the original file. However, I have found that my PS3 didn't play DTS from the m2ts files I have created. I don't know why as they weren't a DTS-HD stream, they were just the regular DTS 5.1 audio. Anyway, I just re-encoded them to 5.1 Dolby Digital @ 640kbps and all was good.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  11. bigidiot1

bigidiot1 Member

OK WOOHOO GOOD NEWS and some bad news.

GOOD NEWS. I copy the m2ts and meta file output by tsmuxer to a DVD, and the PS3 plays it. 720p, 15Mb/s. Perfect. And the audio comes through in 5.1!

Bad news. There is a audio synch problem. The audio lags the video by about 0.7 seconds. How do I get them in sync?

PS::The file size is 3.1GB - my comp is a bit dated so it takes longer than you hot rod guys. tsmuxer took 25 minutes, I added beer time to get to an hour.

12. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

It sounds like a frame rate issue. When you re-muxed the files with tsMuxeR, did you enter a figure in the frame rate box?

Since you say that the audio is lagging, that suggests that the video is playing faster than the audio. Is it a gradual sync problem? Does it gradually get more out of sync as you play the video? If it does try entering 23.976 into the frame rate box in tsMuxeR. If it is a consistant sync issue then you will need to set audio delay parameters to sync the audio to the required postive or negative delay.

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Hey Ryu,
    I have a media center PC with a ATSC tuner, the file type of the recoreded TV show is ".drv-ms", unfortunately none of the programs listed above will work with this file. Any suggestions. My tuner came with the PC, would installing other software conflict with media centeror the 3rd party software?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  14. bigidiot1

bigidiot1 Member

Not a gradual problem. Starts right off the bat and stays consistent. I entered nothing/changed nothing in tsmuxer besides the output filename. I didn't even realize tsmuxer allowed me to adjust audio sync parameters. Too many beers.

15. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

VideoReDo allows you to work with dvr-ms! :-D You will be able to remove ads and save it to a mpeg2 program stream if you like with no re-encoding needed. See here... http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm?src=VRD2004-09-08

16. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Ok, then the frame rate has nothing to do with it. You will need to set a negative delay for the audio to bring it forward with the video and sync it back again.

Can I ask... The original file is fine, isn't it? Maybe it's some corrupt frames at the start of the video. This is quite common with DTV broadcast recordings. Cutting a few seconds from the start of the video might remedy your problem.