1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you play xbox originals on the xkey?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by angeteen, Feb 21, 2016.

1. angeteen

angeteen Regular member

I got an xkey, and after replacing some parts, managed to get it to work. So far it all works great except for xbox original games. I managed to get a copy of the .iso, and yes, the game itself is on the compatibility list. I tried to send it through abgx, got an error, then tried XDVDMulleter Beta 10.2, and it said it couldn't do it. I'm out of ideas...since I'm not trying to burn the game to a disc, but rather put it on an external hard drive, what can I do?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

abgx is for 360 games..
    Should've web searched first,xbox games require the emu files & games can only be played from internal hdd,so either get an rgh or burn game to disc,my advice use an rgh console or get an original xbox & modchip it

3. angeteen

angeteen Regular member

I did do some web searching, and that's why I tried XDVDMulleter. I saw something about using a layout file, but couldn't find one. Then again this was more for burning discs, but so far it's my only lead. You said that it can only be played from an internal hd, so I take the external one that clips to the back of the unit is out of the question then? Also as for the emu file where should I go to find that, and is it anything like the layout file?

As for getting a new console, sorry, there just isn't enough Xbox original games that I want to play to make it worthwhile which is why I'm doing in on the 360. RGH is out of the question though...I don't have the equipment or skill to do a RGH. That, and for using an external hard drive, it makes sorting and browsing the games a lot easier, so I don't have to manually find them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You need the partitioning software microsoft provided & the files for originals to work,this requires an onboard hdd or what would normally be seen as hdd1 on a jtag or an rgh,the emu will not work from usb hdd.I can only assume if an original xbox game is placed in 360 drive while connected to live it will ask you for update download to install whats required,microsoft website will have instruction i would think.Once partition is created & files installed you may be able to get xkey to work,however i can't find anyone anywhere that has.You also need to take into consideration that originals will be stuttery when playing under high graphic load;an example is burnout 2 when it's raining or snowing the game comes to a crawl,as the 360 has few resources memory wise & burnout 2 is very basic graphic wise

files here may not work for unmodded console
    http://www.realmodscene.com/index.p...lay-xbox1-classic-xbox-games-on-your-jtagrgh/

5. angeteen

angeteen Regular member

I've been working on this for a while now, so my mind's a little tired, but from what you said it sounds like your saying it's JTAG or RGH, both of which requires soldering, which means I'm SOL. Of course, even pulling this off, it still has a high chance of not working, right? Well...crap. Well...thanks for the info anyway. Hate to find out what I'm doing is impossible.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

No!no!no! After the 360 was released microsux released a set of files & a partitioning software that would allow originals to be played,so that the 360 was backwards compatible.However it has to be done on the onboard hdd not usb (after partition tool has created the necessary partition the emulator files are placed in the newly created partition,these files are what allows the 360 to play games),once that partition is created you maybe able to get a usb iso game to play,tho from what i'm seeing nobody has done it which doesn't bode well.

Here this will get you the partition required,it won't ruin any files you have already on the hdd,but like i said it has to be the internal hdd or whatever connection your console has to an hdd but it CANNOT be a usb port attached drive or it won't work
    http://www.cnet.com/news/faq-how-to-play-xbox-games-on-the-new-xbox-360/

I'd start with the partitioner (this needs to be done after the console has formatted the hdd).

Then get the required files on there if it's not done automatically,i think the folder that contains the emulator is called xbox & is on the root of the hdd (root = what you would see if you opened C drive on a pc tho folder names would be different)

Ok this is where things get hairy,on a jtag i can get the console to scan any folder where any games are,however an unmodded console i think the games would appear as some sort of god container in the microsoft official location,along with 360 games & dlc etc

hdd1\Content\00000000\game name in numerical form (a folder will appear like this 584114B2,with a stack of smaller files inside it,like what you'd see if downloading a bunch of rars off a torrent inside said folder)

a program called "party buffalo 360 drive explorer" can see the structure of a 360 hdd when using windows,while hdd is attached to a pc

you can retrieve & place files at will,however if you intend to place dlc or avatar items they will not work as they need to be unlocked or at last have your profile ID assigned,if you visit live i'd recommend avoid doing this unless you own the content as you may get banned

You maybe able to create GOD style games of the original xbox & drag n drop them directly into the hdd content folder,it may even work if you extract the game files of the iso & create a folder called burnout 2,then drop it to content.The worse that will happen is it won't work,not sure how you'd get on placing the game on an external if it's not been formatted by the console

If you don't use live consider getting an rgh done,it'll save a ton have hassles & if you so desire you can game free on LiNK ,tho there's a lot of cheaters on there,i haven't bothered myself with LiNK, i suspect the lag will be bad

7. richietea

richietea Regular member