1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you protect yoursel from RIAA

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by pinkerton, Mar 30, 2004.

1. pinkerton

pinkerton Member

Apart from not downloading songs, how do you aviod detection? Im from the UK, am i even at risk (i assume so)
    I use a firewall, does this help been detected?

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

pinkerton I aint to far away from you I run at the moment 2 firewalls
    perguardian v14
    protowall and the BLM update system
    dunno if it does good stuff or not but protowall seems to be blocking quite a bit
    even when I am just surfin reading web pages for some reason

3. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

I also use spyboy adaware v6 and adwatch if anyone else knows anything I can get My hands on it will be used also as I think prevention is better than a cure
    laterz

4. pinkerton

pinkerton Member

Yes. I understand firwalls/ad aware etc protect you from unwanted traffic. but do they stop the RIAA?

How do the RIAA operate? How do they find you? Track you? Find your address? Do they operate on worldwide scale? Do they just target people who download lots?? Or just random? AGGGAGAGGAGAGG the paranoia is kicking in.!!! LOL

5. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The RIAA have people constantly downloading music on Kazaa and other p2p networks, they track the IP Address of each user that uploads to them. Before they used to Subpeona isp's for the information on the user but i think they lost that ability in court, now they have to file a lawsuit on the IP Address or something like that to get the Information.

So basically, they are suing uploaders, or sharers as they are called. They claim they are suing downloaders but I dont think there is a case yet where they have sued someone for just downloading off p2p!

The tactics they use are in fact, by law Illegal in the U.S. and Europe so the very fact that these law suits take place is crazy!

6. sam3kd

sam3kd Guest

I use this mod here http://members.lycos.co.uk/emuleguide/emule.php which does not share any files, including partial downloads. So the RIAA will not be able to download any files from me. But of cos I only use this mod of emule to download the latest movies and songs. I have another mod of emule that is purely just for sharing the 'older' files. So i'm not a leecher...