1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you save to a CD-RW for use in other computers?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by bwbeye, Mar 23, 2005.

1. bwbeye

bwbeye Member

I know it's a rather silly question and I'm sorry I have to ask it. I want to save files (documents, powerpoint presentations, etc.) to a CDRW for use (to access and change, etc.)in other computers and I seem to be having a problem. I was able to burn (I have Nero and Roxio) to a CDRW but it was a read only file and wasn't able to edit it and/or resave over it. How can I do this? Thank you very much!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the other computers have to have a cdr/w drive in them to be able to edit the file(s) besides needing the burning software installed

3. bwbeye

bwbeye Member

forgive me for saying so, and with all due respect... that goes without saying. I'm fairly well versed on burning cd's and I've recently done a few DVD's too but this CDRW thing has me puzzled. Do/are all "packet" writing software (InCD/Direct CD, and any MS Windows software) compatable with each other, is there a packet writing standard? I would think if you use Nero or Roxio you'd have to have the same (or compatable) software on the other computer(s) you'd like to access the CDRW burned on your computer but what's the chances of that? Music CD's/DVD's and/or one time burned CD's aren't the problem, it's the CDRW rewriting thing that's my problem. Here in my home it's not a problem (software the same on mine and their computers), however my kids have whatever(?) software at their school and that's where they need to be able to save to CDRW here at home and access at school to run/change and/or save. Thank you!

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the sad thing is, there isn't really any standard in that area. if your kids are lucky enough to go to a school where the computers have cd burners, then the only thing i can think of to do would be to take the file, copy if from the cd-rw, edit it as necessary on the computer, erase the disc, and burn again. time consuming, yes, but it looks to be your only choice. good luck.

5. Needakip

Needakip Regular member

You can use make data cd with nero and burn to a cdr.
    to make the disk more reliable in other computers i
    close the disk. You wont be able to edit the file on cdr but you could always copy it to the other computer and then edit it.

6. ddp

don't have to finalize the cd as i leave my data cds with different drivers for computers unfinalized so i can add more drivers till cd is full

7. bwbeye

bwbeye Member

I'm really surprised there's no standardized method to do this. With floppy's a thing of the past (my kids laptop doesn't even have a floppy drive), today’s average file size surpassing the floppy disc capacity, and most all of today’s computers come with a combo CDR/CDRW/DVD drive/burner capable of burning 700MB or 4.7GB you'd think this would be a no brainer. How could this be? You’d think Bill Gates (or someone else) would come with a way to easily copy to a CDRW and use it on any computer without software compatibility issues.

8. ddp

because a floppy is hardware driven whereas a cdrom is software driven