1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you use Serial Data cable?

Discussion in 'Samsung discussion' started by DogEater, Apr 18, 2005.

1. DogEater

DogEater Member

i have a serial data cable for my samsung e105 (i got it from my friend so i could test the cable). anyways. how would i use it, its easier if it was usb but in this case, it isn't. so what do i do?

2. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

ive got the answer, go out and buy a serial to usb adapter, cost you a less than a tenner, but you can connect it via usb!

ebay will have loads of em

3. DogEater

DogEater Member

but would it load up the driver and stuff.. and have you tried this before or do you just guessing.

4. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

ive used it before with mice, using a serial to ps2 connection, but that was a very long time ago!

it SHOULD in theory work...but i dont want to promise you just in case!

best thing to do is go to local pc shop pick one up, and if it doesnt then take it back and get your money back

nothing ventured...nothing gained

5. DogEater

DogEater Member

well, i was really wondering, because samsung only make serial data cable, even the program like Easy GPRS uses com1 which is serial port. But for some reason, mine doesn't detected it, it said to turn off your computer and hook up the wire with both PC and phone shut off, then turn them on. But that doesnt' work. =P

6. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

is there no software or drivers to install?

surely with a serial connection there would be drivers that need to be installed.

usb is plug and play, serial is not (or shudnt be!)

i suppose you could ask samsung, take a look on there site they may have the drivers

i have a nokia 7610 with usb data suite and you still had to install the dku-5 cable, and that was usb

7. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

8. DogEater

DogEater Member

i already did, i went to device manager and under "ports". "communication (com1)" which i assume it's my seril port. And it is enable.

9. kirkbuk

kirkbuk Guest

ive got a samsung usb cable, dont suppose you know how to get the phone to connect to it?? causing much stress from trying

10. john4582

john4582 Member

what do yo want the cables to do if it is only file transfering then get a bluetooth dongle if your phone is bluetooth compatible