1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how does one get best quality?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sal88, Nov 2, 2004.

1. sal88

sal88 Member

hi, i have now got the hang of converting video files to dvd, but i have noticed that the quality is not always the same.
    1. i open up the original file with avicodec and use the same bitrates in tmpgenc, is this the best way to get optimum quality or shud it be higher? what about vbr and all that?
    2.what other settings/factors will ensure/affect best quality? as it is sometimes a bit 'grainy' i think is the word, around moving objects in the video
    all help much appreciated

thanks in advance

2. sal88

sal88 Member

anyone?

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Anything less than an unaltered DVD rip is going to suffer some degree of quality loss.

4. sal88

sal88 Member

i c, thx for the reply, is that part of the reason why in some of the conversion guides they have outputted the mpeg file so that it fits the whole dvd?

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You have to go to MPEG-2 since it's the format that most DVD players require. The file size has to do with the format itself and not simply to fill the DVD :)

6. sal88

sal88 Member

its just that im sure ive bin able to fit about 4 divx films (converted to mpeg2 of course) on a dvd. but on one of the guides they just pumped up the quality so that it fitted the whole dvd, which i didn't think would be nescessary as u can easilt fit more than 1 700mb divx on a dvd. i was thinkin perhaps they did this so as to put loss of quality(which is what u mentioned) at a minimum

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The quality you get will depend on a lot of things. Using AviSynth and CCE you can normally get up to 4 episodes of a 1 hour TV episode (which is normally around 42 minutes without commercials) on a DVD with good quality. Of course that also depends on the quality of the AVI and what kind of motion/detail/contrast it has. If you don't have CCE you can also use AviSynth with other encoders, but that's the one I'm familiar with.