1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does this all work?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by DavGerm4, Jan 20, 2007.

1. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Okay, so I want to backup my copy of The Office Season 2, but each of the discs, are 7000+ MB. Does this DVDShrink, allow me to make this all fit on a DVD-R? There are four of the discs, and I want to backup all of them, but can the DVDShrink do that? I really don't understand this stuff...

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Shrink compresses. For good quality do one recordable disc for each DVD. Then get RipIt4Me to make the operation of the software easier. Sometimes Shrink by itself doesn't handle newer copy protection. Go over the short guide and then do the install. http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html It's all freeware.

3. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

to help some, DVDShrink works by re-encoding the DVDs MPEG2 video to a smaller size (about 70% is the limit). It also reduces further by allowing you to remove unwanted audio tracks (such as other languages)

25 minutes of uncompressed video is around 3GB, a 25 minutes of MPEG2 (DVD) is around 1GB, so to reduce this a bit more wont normally hurt that much..

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  4. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Okay, so I understand that RipIt4Me, will rip my copyrighted DVD's. After I rip it to my HDD, can I use DVDShrink to Compress it, and put it on a DVD-R?

5. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

Yes.

DVD Shrink is really simple: locate the ripped DVD files on your Hard Disk and set your compression ratio to automatic, consider removing unwanted audio tracks - its best to only remove ones you kno you dont want rather than only keep those you think you need. set it to burn to DVD after compressing.

As previously said, its best to do 1 original disk to 1 DVD-R.

6. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Alright! Thanks Nickberry! I'll try that, as soon as I unlock this Xbox HDD!

7. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

Unfortunaty, thats something I cant help with! lol - have fun!

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

DavGerm4
    The final step of RipIt4Me is opening the files in DVD Shrink. Once the quick analysis is done in Shrink (a test for DVD compliance of the files), you can continue on with the transcoding process. You should have Shrink already set up to burn. If not when you click Backup, set the burn options in the burn settings window.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  9. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Hey Pacman! I got the RipIt4Me, but an error keeps popping up when I try to use it. Every time I open it, and select either Wizard Mode, or 1-Click Mode, this comes up:

Ripit4me has caused an error in RIPIT4ME.EXE.
    Ripit4me will now close.

If you continue to experience problems,
    try restarting your computer.

I don't know why this keeps popping up.

Also, on DVD Shrink, it has an option for opening files. Can I use that if I ripped the file on to the HDD, already, and just open it. Because when I try it won't let me.

10. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@DavGerm4

Your download may of been corrupt, try downloading the software again to get a fresh copy. http://www.ripit4me.org/

Try uninstalling ripit4me, reboot the PC, reinstall it using the fresh copy, then reboot again after the install.

Yes, DVD shrink will open files already ripped to your hard drive using the open files tab at the top, when you click on it, browse to the VIDEO_TS folder containing the video files and highlight it then click ok. Another way is to highlight the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in the VIDEO_TS folder and click ok to open the files.

DVD shrink also opens ISO image file ripped to your hard drive, just click on>>> File----open disk image.

Also, here's a link to some guides which should be very helpful.
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/Guides.htm

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  11. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Well, I have my Movies ripped onto my Xbox, and they are in a Video_TS file. I FTP that to my PC, and when I try to open it with DVDShrink, I click on the Video_TS file. It doesn't do it though, it says like no Files or something like that. Do I click on the Video_TS file, or the Video file itself when using DVDShrink?

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Shrink opens files from the hard drive as well as ISO images and DVDs from an optical drive. If the files are compliant, then Shrink works if the software is working properly.

Most people don't normally use XBox and then transfer and try to transcode video with Shrink. Sounds like something is happening to the files in transfer. Try ripping the DVDs to the HD on the PC and then open in Shrink.

As for RI4M installation, you should have had both the latest version of DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter installed before installing the RI4M. Also the RI4M installer and not the zip file should be used for installation. The zip is handy for updating but not for installing. The installer also adds the FixVTS for you. Once installed the program normally works as it should. I have a computer illiterate friend I sometimes try things on and he was able to do this one with just a little help. So the program is doable for beginners. If it's not working right. Remove it and do a clean install as I pointed out.