1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does this ps2 hard drive work

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Baller19, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Baller19

Baller19 Member

I was wondering that if the final fantasy hard drive can store my games into it. Does it? Are there local stores that sell them?

2. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

Yes it can. And if you are talking about the official HDs then yes, personally i havent seen them sold separately but i dont see why they wouldnt. Ive only seen them bundled with FFXI

3. superstui

superstui Regular member

well if you wnat to store games on your official sony hd and play them you will need either hd loader or hd advanced cd. You can get it for like 30$ on the internet

4. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

ive only seen them with final fantasy as well.

i thought the bonus of the official sony one was that you didnt need hd advance? and you could use it as a memory card also?

5. williej

williej Regular member

Yes, Baller 19, you can store like 6 games on there as well. I have the official Sony 40gb hd. I wiped the Final Fantasy and viewer stuff off of there, but I still have a SOCOM II map.

You need to get HDLoader/HDAdvance or the HDLoader memory card exploit in order to use it, though.

Dude2099, you can buy the HD from Gamestop and I think ebgames, which appear to be merging.

And Jpp, the official Sony HDD is the only HD you can see in the browser and yes, you can use it as a gigantic memory card, but you need HDL/HDA or the memory card exploit to save actual game images on it.

6. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

ok cool, thanks for the info

7. Baller19

Baller19 Member

Thanks guys. Do u know any local stores that can carry these hard drives? And what are the price range for them? The final fantasy one seems koo, but i want a hard drive that can store a lot more games into it.

8. williej

williej Regular member

Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City ... Gamestop. The standard Sony HDD is cool, but I opted for more, more space. I paid $27.50 for my Sony HDD ... but I got tha hookup for it.

9. Baller19

Baller19 Member

hey williej, do u know how much it'll cost me for the HDD u got without the hookup? who gave u the hookup newayz?

10. Baller19

Baller19 Member

my friend had borrowed megaman x5 with HDadvance or Hdloader,,, one of those. how did he format megaman to have the hdadvance on it? he didnt need to buy the seperate disk, he just copied over the game as if it was the hd loader cd. Oh and also, how does 40gb only hold up to 6 games? each game is like 2-3gb.

11. williej

williej Regular member

Baller 19,

You can get the official Sony HDD at Gamestop or Ebgames ...
    Sony has officially quit manufacturing them, but you can find new
    ones at those locations. I would advise calling your local
    Toy-R-Us too ... they often have old stock on shelves ... I
    remember seeing an original GI Joe figure from the 60s on the
    shelf ... that fool was steadily marked down ... I doubt anyone on
    that store's staff was as old as that doll ...

But seriously, check those spots. You can get one off ebay too,
    but make sure it's brand new. I wouldn't pay more than $70 for it
    ... unless you have HDLoader/HDAdvance, it's a glorified 40gb
    memory card.

As far as the Megaman, yeah, I had a Megaman on my HD, but I
    never played it enough. You boot up the program, hit the
    CONVERT button and insert the game and rip. Check out the
    compatible chart at http://www.ps2hd.com and see if the game
    you wanna rip is on there ...

And, you will only be able to store like 7-9 games, depending on
    the size of the games. If you can, step up to a 300gb or larger -
    it's a whooping 70-80 games on your HD. Sick, huh?

Holla!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  12. Baller19

Baller19 Member

Hey williej, the info kinda helped, but the mega man situation. I meant. my friend has the mega man game but he somehow converted that game to be the actual hdadvance or hdloader. he sacrificed that game,so instead of having to buy the hd disk. He just made his own by giving up the megaman game. Get Me? If not just type respond back and i'll help u understand more.

13. williej

williej Regular member

Oh, more than likely, it's a PS1 game. It's the memory card exploit. I know what you are talking about ... it's the free way to use HDLoader. However, I hate buying memory cards anyhow and I have read many times over how the exploits will ruin your memory card. You can try it, but after much research, it's not worth me risking my memory card and game saves for something 'free.' The HD Advance disc(s) are only $30 and you get two of them.

14. cmoney

cmoney Guest

Yeah it sounds like his friend was using the MC exploit with a PS1 disk. I never heard of anyone being able to remove a game from a PS1 or PS2 original disk and replace it with somthing else.

I have the HDadvace 2.0 disks and they do work alright but won't play dual layer games. I wanted to put my God of War and Gran Turismo 4 games I have on the HD and play them, but both are dual layer games, so I did the MC exploit with the latest hdloader and now my GOW and GT4 play off my harddrive. I haven't had any problems with my memorycard not working properly after I did the install and I'm pretty new at the MC exploit method.

15. Baller19

Baller19 Member

Hey, i just wanted to say that i didnt know that ps2 hard drives arent really ps2 hard drives. The hard drives used are excact computer hard drives. Thats cool. I have a version 7 ps2."I think". and i was thinking about getting the Maxtor 120.0GB Internal Hard Drive Model: L01P120. Is this hard drive good for my Ps2? Or must i get a different model numbered hard drive to fit my ps2?
    Thx A lot.

16. williej

williej Regular member

the official Sony HDDs are two kinds, actual. Some of them are Seagates - Some are Maxtors. But they have the same kinda firmware - and it can't be duplicated. That's why you can't download SOCOM II maps with any other HDs. You have to have the official one, and you do have the benefit of seeing it in the PS2's browser and downloading game saves to it. I have one and I just keep it in my PC so I can throw games I really want on it as a backup to the backup.

All in all, the official Sony is cool, but it's painfully small. You may think having 8-9 games on your HD is cool (40gbs), but when you get a bigger one, you will be like 'Dang it boy ...'

17. bonillaeg

bonillaeg Member

can any one help me install a non sony ps2 hard drive, I have a 100gb western digital that I wanted to install, I know you have to modify the adapter or the hard drive but I don't know how, could any one please help me, I have also read that there is a free version of hd loader is this true or is it just a rumor, could anyone please help me.

18. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

yes there is a free version and its called HD loader, but I believe they have stopped letting people download it, so the only copies are ones you have to pay for, like off ebay!

best bet is to buy HD adavance, it will cost you under £15 which will be like the same price now because you cant download it anymore.

im not sure how you have to mod WD HDD because I used a Maxtor but you could try searching google

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  19. bonillaeg

bonillaeg Member

I saw that you could modify the adapter or the hard drive on this forums, but I can't find it now, could anyone please help me find a way to modify the adapter. Thanks

20. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

i know you can modify it too fit, ive searched google for you but thats useless!

ill just check the forum...