1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How fast is your ripping time with DVD Shrink???

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by rizzocks, Aug 21, 2004.

1. rizzocks

rizzocks Member

Hi everyone...i was just wondering if you all can tell me how fast you rip your dvd's with dvd shrink, before it gets burnt? The reason is that i have a computer with a cpu that is running at 800Mhz and it is ripping each dvd before the burn up to four to five hours for the analysis and encoding process and where the actual burn only takes 30 mins. I need to know if this is normal because its seems extremely long for a rip. Im planning to upgrade soon but i need to know where i stand first. Thank you very much.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

The actual rip takes only a few minutes but the encoding speed is heavily dependant on the speed of your processor and to a lesser extent the amount and speed of your RAM.

An upgrade would do wonders for your times :)

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

4-5 hours is way too long. i had a 600mhz with 256 ram, and could do it is 30-60 minutes.

4. rizzocks

rizzocks Member

so does anyone know what my problem might be?? why dvd shrink would be taking so long to analyze and encode??

5. colw

colw Active member

I currently use a PIII 800 with 256 RAM.

Depending on the DVD, encoding can take btwen 15 and 50 minutes with this setup.

Burn time is normally 14-15 minutes at 4X.

Sounds as though you are in PIO mode. Suggest you use search function on this site and insert 'Enable DMA'

DMA will improve your encoding and burning times.

6. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

That is way to long. I would also suggest that you check to see if you are in PIO mode. After so many tries at reading a disk, if windows has difficulty, it switches you automatically to PIO mode. ( If you have a Dell, get a neat little file on there site called "pushdma2", it puts it back to DMA mode in an instant)

Also try a defrag and also make sure nothing else is running in the background while you are burning. Also turn off any virus scan software. My rips are 6-20 min. and my burns are 16-22 min..

Specs:
    Dell 8200 :
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Pentium 4 at 2.2 Ghz
    512mb RDRAM
    120GB Hard Drive w/data burst cache
    Nvidia -GeForce3-Ti500
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Altec Lansing ADA995’s
    Lite-On DVD-ROM 16x (black model 166)
    Nec DVD+RW ND-2100 AD (burner)
    Sony DVP-NS715P (stand alone player)
    Sony DVP-NS325 (stand alone player)
    CyberLink Power DVD (soft PC player)
    21” Trinitron Monitor
    Ritek Ridata +R/+RW media (currently)
    Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick
    Logitech Wingman Rumblepad

7. rizzocks

rizzocks Member

pio mode? im going to look into that!! :) :) :)

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

9. 2005

2005 Regular member

I have the puniest processor on the planet... a 2.0 ghz Celeron... just horrible L2 cache and fsb. but it still gets the job of reading and ripping a dvd in less then 20 min. I have 512 mb of ram also

10. michigan

michigan Guest

[bold] I have the puniest processor on the planet... a 2.0 ghz Celeron... [/bold]

Holy crap then what is mine at 1.8 GHZ? The smallest in the Universe ;)

There are some people who are VERY patient who are using 800mhz machines to do this.

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

rizzocks, Some OEM burners are locked at a 2x rip speed from the factory. If you never updated the firmware on the drive this could be part of you problem. You would need a hacked firmware to unlock that speed. After a firmware update, rip speeds go from 2x to around 12-14x. Makes rip time cut to about 1/4 of original.
    I used an old MB I had to build a PC just for for dvd backups. It runs a 1.3gig Duron and 640meg of ram and a Pioneer 106D. Single layer dvd backups take about 30 minutes from start to finish. Dual Layer about 60 to 80 minutes depending on lenght of movie. These are start to finish times.
    Jerry

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  12. 2005

2005 Regular member

@ Michigan... i own a celeron processor... which at 2.0 ghz could be slaughtered by a 1.6-1.8 ghz p4... Pentium 4 vs Celeron is like david vs goliath.. without the stones. A 2.0 ghz pentium 4 will cream a 2.0 ghz celeron... its just a much more sophistacated processor.

13. michigan

michigan Guest

Thanks for the education in processors, good to know when doing upgrades. I honestly thought a Celeron was a better processor.