1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how fast shud my broadband be

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by sim_bob, Dec 12, 2004.

1. sim_bob

sim_bob Member

hi all i have 750k broadband and i want to no how fast i shud be abel to download i can download some things at 120kb/s is that about right or is that slow for the conection i have ??? can anyone help

2. psx245

psx245 Regular member

thats the max u can probably dl. u can't expect 2 much with 750k connection

3. L33

L33 Member

That's not bad man, I struggle to get that with a 1MB line.

I always thought you got you average d/l speed by dividing you line capacity by 8.

If that's correct you should be happy.

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

The confusion in speeds usually stems from the fact that modem speeds are reported in KiloBITS per second, while Windows and most programs report speeds in KiloBYTES per second. The reason for the difference is purely a marketing one - 56 000 Kilobits per second sounds a lot quicker than 7 Kilobytes per second. You can work the approximate "real-world" speed from your connection speed, by dividing the connection speed by 8 (1 byte = 8 bits, therefore 7 kilobytes = 7 x 8 (8 bits per byte) x 1000 (kilo = 1000) = 56 000). So a connection speed of 48 kilobits per second will equate to approximately 6 Kilobytes per second. A connection speed of 33.6 kilobits per second will equate to 4.2 kilobytes per second.

So basically you should be getting about 95kb/sec download speed.

So 120kb/sec is good for your connection speed.

CJC