1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good are Sony's in comparison with Memorex?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Nickelo, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Nickelo

Nickelo Member

I've got Memorex DVD's that I use for PC data files (DVD+R) and I'm going to start backing-up my movies. My question is this:

How much better are Sony DVD-R than Memorex DVD+R for Video? I can get a 50 pack of Sony DVD-R for 30 bucks this week at Best Buy? Should I do it, or just use my Memorex ones? Thanks in advance.

2. jase

jase Guest

Both brands tend to chop and change manufacturers. So it is difficult to say categorically which is the better disc.

FWIW, I've found that Memorex where I live (UK) tend to use CMC. These can be very variable and I wouldn't recommend them. Most of the time I've found them to be OK but there have been a few wronguns.

Sony have discs specifically manufactured for them rather than using bulk suppliers in the main. Most Sony discs I've seen have a Sony MID, and are manufactured by KDG Mediatech (Austria) or Daxon (Acer Taiwan). In both cases I've found the discs to be very good -- but you can never tell. Sony use Lead Data from time to time as well, and this manufacturer in my experience is the lowest of the low.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

See what the media code is on your memorex's useing dvdinfopro or dvdidentifier. If they are ricohjpn or prodisc you will probably be ok. If they are cmc magnetics beware. I use ricohjpn's and love em. Here's a good media guide.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Ritek or Taiyo Yuden for movies and any old crap for data. ;)

5. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I wouldn't recommend RICOHJPN, especially with burning PS2 games. I get a lot of audio skipping and crap like that with RICOHJPN discs.