1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How High (in the RED) can you GO? (dvd Shrink)

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by buzzlo11, Mar 11, 2004.

1. buzzlo11

buzzlo11 Member

I notice that the default is around 4.4, before it starts getting red, so, If I push it into the RED at 4.6 for a 4.7 DVD, will it burn, and if so, will it run or start having problems down the road...(toward end of movie...etc,,,,)

thanks

2. actech

actech Regular member

you'll have problems . i think there is additional info from the burning software that goes on there. i tried it and it wouldn't burn with nero. it wouldn't try it just said it was too big.

3. buzzlo11

buzzlo11 Member

Yeah, that's what I thought.....

I just wish there was a better way to remove items, unselect from the DVD without reauthoring.

One trick I did learn was in the compression (shrink(, is to turn the trailers into still pictures) that saves a lot of room, but then last night, wouldn't you know, after watching a backup, I wanted to see the extra's and was like...hmmmmmmmmm
    My first burn was Monsters and I had no clue what I was doing at the time and it was 50%, and it appeared ok, kind of VHS-ish...so anywhere from 60-70% makes me happy, if it's a "greatest film in the world" I would probably do movie only and turn everything else into STILL PICTURES...then create a disc two turning the MOVIE into STILL pictures and getting the extras in full rez.

Unless there is an easier way...?!

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

the one thing i can add to this post is that you dont have 4.7 gbs to use on a dvdr its actually just under 4.4gb,more than that, and you start writting on the outer edge of the disc where other than top flight media sometimes fail.