1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I cured 'Power Calibration Error' in Nero

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by agent-k, Feb 21, 2005.

1. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I haven't been able to burn dvds at 6 or 8 speed for a few months now. Nero keeps telling me 'Burn Failed-Power Calibration Error'

After a little wander around the internet it seemed the most common cause for this was caused by a dirty laser in the dvd writer. I tried numerous so-called cleaning discs and none of them helped so today I took my Pioneer 107 out of the case with the intention of taking it to pieces, cleaning the laser lens and re-assembling.

It was actually a lot easier than I was expecting. After removing from the pc case, I poked a pin in the little hole at the front of the drive to open the tray. I needed to do this to remove the drive's face plate.
    Ther were four screws to remove the bottom of the dvd casing and another screw to remove the top.
    Underneath was another metal plate. Once that was removed the laser lens was exposed. I sprayed some screen cleaner onto a cotton bud and wiped the dirt off the lens then re-assembled the drive.
    Once re-installed into the pc I opened up Nero and burned 2 dvds at 8xspeed with no problems whatsoever.
    There was no more warnings about 'Power Calibration Errors'

The whole process took about 6-7 minutes and was so easy I should have done it long ago.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You 're my hero agent-k :)

3. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

You having the same problem Neph?

But I thought Plextors were indestructable.

hehehe

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

No I wasn't. You're my hero just because :)

5. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Yay...I'm a hero..!!

Now I'll be the talk of every Tupperware party in Arizona.