1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is Via 6421 chipset PCI Sata for the Benq flash?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by GunsNRose, Nov 9, 2007.

1. GunsNRose

GunsNRose Member

Is this a must? Can I just use my mobo's on board SATA? How do I determine what port the the Xbox 360 will be connected to?

Part 2) If by chance I specify a wrong I/O port when I read/dump the Xbox firmware, will an error come up telling me theres nothing connected to that port? How can I find out for sure what port the 360 drive will be on?

THanks guys!

2. dmarkow

dmarkow Member

I don't know if it has to be the actual 6421 chipset, but I've read that it has to be the nforce or via

I tried last night on an Intel ICH7 SATA, Silicon Image, and a JMicron. All of them found my drive, but the "MTK Vendor Intro Failed" part just kept looping even after powering off and on my benq drive.

Took it to work this morning, plugged it into a computer with a Via chipset (VT8251 southbridge), and it worked perfectly on the first try.

3. dxm997

dxm997 Member

first things first - so sorry for replying in a 2 weeks old thread but this is _exactly_ the question I've wanted to ask, and I still haven't found an answer.

So, is this pci sata card necessary? Why can't I use the mobo SATA ? If not will any card based on via 6421 be alright (no matter what my mobo is) ?

4. Memnock

Memnock Active member

You have to use a VIA or nforce chipset to flash a benq. Those are the only ones that will work. You'll have to talk to C4EVA on as to why since he wrote the firmware. I've only seen nforce chipsets on motherboards so if your motherboard doesn't have one you most like have to buy a VIA card. The 6421 is the cheapest one and works great. That's why everyone says you need/should buy that one.