1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important to turn off NAV?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bigdm, Feb 1, 2005.

1. bigdm

bigdm Member

Sometimes when I backup my DVDs I forget to turn off NAV (>20 times). I have not noticed any problems in play back of my DVDs. What exactly is the reason you should turn off NAV and have I been lucky? I use Recode2. I should mention that I have lots of hard drive space and I burn directly to the disk instead of the HD.

bigdm

2. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

I do not turn mine off. It will not effect the process at all. If your system does not have enough RAM turning off background processes will make all the difference in the world.

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I turn off all unneeded processes, especially NAV. I used to use CA's eTrust EZ Armor, but with McAfee, it's a memory hog!!! It assigns itself a 'high priority' on all its processes which you cannot lower (check processes in Task Manager), and periodically, I will see my CPU usage hit 100% when some McAfee processes run - MCCli.exe, the AntiSpyware was notorious for this. This happens when I'm using the internet, and my screens will freeze for a few seconds. Because I download so many mp3s, I haven't checked them but I did notice some of them with stutters. I don't think EZ Armor was a problem, but McAfee is The Devil. I despise it, and if I could uninstall it completely, I would. I'd suspect Norton AV would be too. I don't take any chances so I just make it a habit to turn it off before burning. P.S. - I have 768MB RAM and a fast Pentium 4, so my PC isn't exactly bare bones.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  4. bigdm

bigdm Member

Thanks for the replies. I only have 512MB of RAM but only have used up 20% of my HD space. I have not experience any problems thus far. I use CyberArmor firewall with NAV. I never turn my firewall off.

bigdm

5. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

If your not connected to the net the firewall is unnecessary. As for memory monitor the memory in task manager when you run the backup. If it looks close shut down some programs and services. You might also want to adjust your virtual memoery size from the defualt settings. Mine is set at 1536 to 3072 MB, the maximum available.