1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does is take for the Slim PS2 to heat up dangerously?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by GuyInAHat, Feb 6, 2007.

1. GuyInAHat

GuyInAHat Member

I might get a slim PS2 and flip top mod it, and knowing my friends and I, we will play it a lot and stuff, so how long does it take for it to heat up to the point where it could do damage to itself?

2. SnipesXxX

SnipesXxX Member

unless the cooling fan dies or you put it in a unventilated area you can play it 24/7 and it not overheat. If it overheats it has issues thats not normal.

3. tsukia

tsukia Member

No one can realy say it, it's not like slimline.

I had mine up for around 2 weeks (wasn't even playing ._.;) with a psx game in and it lasted from 2003 (near it's release.. got it on november along with WoW) til 2 days ago but I had to change the lens during the beginning of the past summer (v12 ...).

I also had it up for 2-3 days in a row easy many times and quite often (a lottttttt) 10-24hrs. Your ps2 will feel warm and it's obviously not something you should ignore but it's up to you.

Eversince I got my ps2 an Apple 2x (got ripped .. suck chip) modchip by a sucky modder, I had just so many problems with my ps2 that after awhile I just disliked seeing it on too long for overheating since I sometime had problems booting burns and I had to let it rest.

Anyway, I am just telling you about me and my ps2. It's obviously a bad thing to just keep it on whenever you aren't playing and making it rest whenever you can, is -always- a good thing.

I just really wouldn't mind about it for the situation you described. Besides, it will last years before it breaks (if it does, my old psx is still perfect) and I doubt you'd still be playing hardcore with your friends by then.

But don't forget, any kind of machine must be maintained otherwise don't cry later.

4. croy00

croy00 Member

I played the crap out of my slim with FF XII...I mean who didn't but probably two weeks ago I paused it did a couple things totally forgot about it then spent three days at my girlfriends and left my slim on. Naturally feeling bad I went home to check on my buddy. Believe it or not it was right where I left it. Now here is where some might say I abuse my PS2. Do you think I turned it off...no I un-paused just to see where I was and ended up playing for hours. This is with my back-up copy of my FF XII as well so if there is a problem with the slim overheating you must be playing it on top of your stove in Mexico during the summer heat with a hot water bottle on the lid.

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Depends really, and you may also have to include the chances of getting a defective PS2, which is a marginal chance anyway, if you're that paranoid you'd think you would get one. Could always do the recommended amount of hours they always suggest on every game manuel which is like between an hour or two, I forgot. Then there's always the option of buying an external fan or a replacement fan for the one currently in your slim-PS2 to keep it well ventilated compared to the company fan you bought with your PS2. If you really do play that much, very extensively, I say play no more then a few hours at most if you don't want to run the chance of overheating it. Anyway, it really depends because it's your choice on how you judge it to be safe or dangerous. Someone probably has to have x-ray vision or dismantle their PS2 very frequently and know what they're looking for to do such a strenous check-ups all the time after every playthrough. Just let it rest every 30 mins or an hour even after an extensive play if you're that worried whenever you don't play with it.

Unless I'm mistaken and wrong, there actually is a standard time for how long you can play before your PS2 self-afflicts damage upon itself? Someone please PM me then =P