1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long should I wait to mix alcohol with medicine

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by andersg, Dec 2, 2006.

1. andersg

andersg Regular member

I was wondering how long should I wait before consuming alcohol after I have taken a prescription medicine?
    Earlier today (around 11am atlantic time) I had to take Robax Platinum because of some pain and stiffness I was getting in my jaw.

http://www.medbroadcast.com/drug_info_details.asp?brand_name_id=1908&dowhat=accept_disclaimer

I was wondering how long it would be before I should be able to consume alcohol without any risks of it interfering with the medication.

2. ireland

ireland Active member

you should not ever use alcohol as long as your on pain drugs..period

3. andersg

andersg Regular member

Even if I wait long enough for the medication to wear off first? the directions on the package say take one every 4-6 hours. So If I wait until 10 hours has passed will it do anything?
    Just out of curiousity. How long do you have to wait after consuming alcohol do you have to wait to start taking medication

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  4. ireland

ireland Active member

MOST DRUGS STAY IN YE SYSTEM BETWEEN 24 TO 48 HOURS..

ITS UP TO YOU.

5. andersg

andersg Regular member

Once again Ireland, Thanks for the heads up.

The thing is, I am not in the middle taking these pills. I have finished what the doctor recommended and was just wondering how long it would take before I could consume it. Now that I am informed I know better. Good looking out, Ireland.

6. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Pain Killers like already make you seem "High"..I take a painkiller Oxycodone(Not Oxycontin). I really don't think you should drink alcohol with it.

http://www.drugs.com/oxycodone.html

Also the Oxycodone makes me Really sick to my stomach when it wears off so i take prevacid when i take it, so I would definentley wait atleast a day to let it wear off before you comsume alcohol.

I also remeber my doc saying that painkillers are heavy on the kidneys and liver, so consuming alcohol while taking the drug will hurt your kidneys and liver.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2006
  7. andersg

andersg Regular member

Will Do

8. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Aren't you a little young for alcohol? I just checked your profile and it says you were born in 1991.

9. andersg

andersg Regular member

Yes, you are right, I am too young. But I was asking this question for my brother who is 19 today. So he is allowed to drink it if he wants too. I know you're all gunna say this sounds like an excuse but I am not lying lol.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

That's not your problem? You're 15 too; never drunk alcohol?

@ andersg: I'd just follow the advice on the packet :)

It usually says that kinda stuff in the rly little print that no one can be arsed to read or even see ;-)

11. andersg

andersg Regular member

Say who? ;)

But I am not the one on the painkillers lol

12. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Is this about me? No, get back on topic. ANd for you info I don't drink alcohol. And pretty sure i will never as my doctors don't recommend it.

13. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yes, it was @ you, cos I doubt andersg needs a lecture about alcohol, regardless of whether it is for him or not.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to go anywhere with this tocool, so I'm out.

14. ireland

ireland Active member

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@tocool4u ... I take both oxycontin and oxycodone; actually, they're the same thing but with a different delivery method. Oxycontin is a long term, 12 hour release while Oxycodone (otherwise known as percocet) has a 4 hour rapid release. Feeling like you have indegestion or stomach pains is common when it starts wearing off ... it doesn't happen to me but I've been told it helps to eat a couple of hours after taking it or about an hour before it starts to wear off.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2006
  16. Starrift

Starrift Regular member

oh god ireland, that coffee looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good O_O

eh hem, yes as was said above, u shouldn't drink alchohol during the consumption of drugs.not only is it hard on your system, but its bad for u and can have some zany side affects o_O so i recomend u stay away from the giggle water untill your off the drugs for at least a day or two.

17. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Agreed. Ireland you'll need to give me the recipe! :)

-Mike

18. ireland

ireland Active member

IRISH COFFEE

4 cups Strong fresh coffee
    1/4 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup Irish whiskey
    1 cup Whipping cream
    2 tablespoons Sugar
    2 tablespoons Irish whiskey

1. Place 4 cups of strong fresh coffee in a saucepan with 1/4 cup of sugar, or to taste.

2. Add 1/2 cup Irish Whiskey and heat thoroughly but do not boil. (Scotch, Bourbon or other whiskeys could be used.)
    3. Meanwhile whip 1 cup whipping cream until light.

4. Beat in 2 tb each of sugar and Irish whiskey.

5. Pour coffee into mugs or goblets and pipe or spoon flavoured cream on top.

Irish Coffee

1 1/2 ounces Irish whiskey
    8 ounces hot coffee
    1 dash creme de menthe
    1 maraschino cherry
    dessert topping, pressurized
    1 teaspoon brown sugar -- or to taste

Pour Irish whiskey into a coffee mug. Fill with black coffee and brown sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Spray a generous amount of whipped dessert topping (the canned, pressurized topping is easiest to use) on top of the coffee. Trickle creme de menthe to form green stripes on the whipped topping and place the cherry on top. Serve immediately.

19. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

drinking age is 21 ;)

20. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Not in Canada, and in one(or both) of the carolinas they have bars where they can sell beer to people who are 18 but ONLY beer. Well at least they did dont know if it changed......

Edit: Yea checked his profile he lives in Canada, Now that i think back, When I searched google for that Pain killer I saw it only available in Canada....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006