1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how long to backup ps2 dvd (Alcohol 1.92)

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by gouldinio, Nov 11, 2004.

1. gouldinio

gouldinio Member

Right, I know I'm an idiot, but some help is required by you super intellects please.

I am using Alcohol to try and backup some PS2 DVD games. Problem is Alcohol gets stuck into the job, hits about 50-55% and comes up with the disc read errors, this goes on for ever and ever (left it for 14 hrs while I went out) doesn't progress very far.

Now I know with backing up PC games you get this with certain protection, but on Alcohol when backing up dvd's I can only select skip read errors at the beggining of the wizard ( have followed this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/121556 ) and checked all boxes, even though that is for burning.

Is there any protection on these games? ? ?
    How long does it take (average) to obtain iso image?
    Why am I such a dildo?

2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

best guess sounds like you have a defective source disc, check it for marks, finger prints, scratches etc

3. gouldinio

gouldinio Member

Thankyou devilhunt---it was that the first three dvd roms I tried were quite scratched etc... justifying the reasons for me to backup whats left of my games ehh??!!!
    Another question if I may.
    If say I left alcohol to pass through all the disc read errors it encounters on the defective source discs, and I burnt the resulting image, would I end up with a disc that could be played on ps2? (theoretical answer will do)

I'm guessing not.

Oh, and if it that didn't work where would I stand (legally) on hiring said game and backing it up, being that I have the original you understand.

P.S Thanks for the links to dvdloader and identifying my ps2. Couldn't get the dvdloader for 5 days? I have a V9 and I think I need Magic Swap 3.2 to play backup cd's

Why am I such a dildo?

4. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

Is that a rhetorical question?

5. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

ok i will try to answer, if you let a120 skip the read errors and there are only one or two you might get lucky and get a working backup in theory(depending on what data was missing), if there are lot's of read errors then it's unlikley to work or maybe it would play fine to start with then freeze part way through the game, now to backing up from a different copy, technically it would be illegal as your not backing up your own copy but it would solve your problem and who would know that you didn't use your disc to create your backup anyway

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  6. gouldinio

gouldinio Member

nrk 4594
    Yeah, in a way, but you could give me a literal answer if you deem it necesary

[​IMG]