1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long to rip dvd and transcode in nero vision express

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ricsalt, Sep 1, 2004.

1. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

I used Shrink for the first time and it took about 20 min. to rip a region 2 disk.

I then "imported" the files to nero. Each main file (vob) took about 40 minutes to transcode with the smallest taking 10 to 20 minutes.

I then went to "burn" and the Nero calculator showed that the burn would take about 3.5 hours.

Lastly, the dvd case says that the dvd was a "dvd-5"
    I thought it would fit on a 4.7 gig -R disc. After transcoding, the disk size increased to about 7 gig.

To the Forum members ; are these times, figures normal ?

Thanks

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

What are you using NeroVision Express 2?

From what you describe, you should be using the Nero Recode 2 to create a DVD from the content created with DVD Shrink.

You can find guides for using DVD Shring with Nero and other programs on this forum.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

3. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Thanks for the commentary. Yes, I am using Nero Vision Express 2 because another member mentioned that it converts Pal to Ntsc as it trancodes the vob files. I believe this explains why the "size" of the dvd has grown. Pal records at 25 frames per second-Ntsc at 30.

I'll look into recode. I haven't used it yet.

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Ahh, I see.

Yes, that would explain the reason for using NeroVision, and for the larger file size.

If you really need or want to convert the source file from PAL to NTSC, you will need to use NeroVision as Nero Recode can not do that. However, you can use two programs together to acomplish your needs.

Use NeroVision to convert from PAL to NTSC without reducing the quality by writing to your Hard Drive as a Video_TS folder. Then use Nero Recode 2.1 to requantisize the Video_TS contents to fit onto a DVD5 disc.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

5. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Thanks Craig,

You provided "crucial information". Yes, I need to convert from Pal to Ntsc.

I will take your advice and use recode to reduce the size of the compilation.

One more question- is it obligatory in Nero Vision Express 2 to create a new "menu" ? My version puts "Island" on my compilation as I move forward towards burning. I haven't spent much time on this but didn't notice that this "step" could be skipped.

Thanks

Richard

6. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Richard,

Yes, sorry. That is the drawback with using NeroVision for this process, as it only takes in the Video content. Not the Menu, extras, Subtitles, etc. So you do loose a lot by using this process.

Since it does not take in the Menu, you have to create a new Menu. But you can choose Colors, import your own Images for background, or use a Motion Menu for the background. Such as the Movie you are converting.

Only when you use Recode 2 by itself will you be able to retain the original Menu, subtitles, etc. But then you would not be able to convert from PAL to NTSC. :-(

Regards,

Craig

7. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Yes, I see.

I was considering burning the Pal to Ntsc compilation on a DVD-DL disk. I have the updated Nero software which supports DL burning. Is there any special preparation I need to make in Nero Vision Express 2 to do this or do I simply click on the burn button ?

One other setting I would like to make because I have heard good things about it and it is also supported by Nero is to set "Book type to DVD-Rom" for greater acceptance by standalone DVD players.

In Nero burning Rom, this setting can be made under "Recorders". I didn't notice access to this setting in Nero Vision Express 2 at the burn stage. If I set it in Nero burning Rom before burning my compilation in Nero Vsion Express 2, would the setting apply ?

Your answers have all been great and I'm sure the other members are learning alot.

Richard

8. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Richard,

NeroVision will detect if your recorder supports DL, but make sure you do not have a normal DVD-R, or DVD+R, etc in the drive or it will ask if you wish to drop the quality to allow it to fit onto the disc. If you have a DL media in the recorder it will not bring up this message unless the video exceeds the capacity of the DL media.

As for the BookType setting. NeroVision Express will automatically change the BookType setting to DVD-ROM. Regardless of the setting in Nero Burning ROM or Nero Express.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

9. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Totally Cool- oh man.

Richard