1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long will burned dvd-r's last?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by cs6000, Mar 30, 2005.

1. cs6000

cs6000 Member

How's this for a newbie question? Obviously we don't have the benefit of time to find out. I've heard conflicting ideas on the life of a burned dvd.

What's the general opinion?

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

One hopes they will last years and years. That being said I think there are just too many varibles to give a definitive answer. One has to start with the quality of the media, quality of the writer and reader, use, storage conditions, handling, chemical makeup of the disc material, etc..,etc., and the list goes on.

In summary, I think that burned media can be expected to last from years to hours. Good Luck!...:)

3. fancymojo

fancymojo Guest

ty's states 50-100 years! keep them in cool dry and dark enviroment and if the media is good (not cmc) then they can last you a life time

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Mfr specs are always done under ideal conditions. Kind of like how many mpg your supposed to get with your car. If we could emulate those conditions maybe they will last as long as TY states. Who knows, I doubt I will be here to find out if my disks lasted this long.

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

new industry research speculates that 5 years is the tops for current media that is available, however that may change with new and advances in technology