1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Maximize internet connection?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Jay05, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Hey, I have a friend, but he lives out from the US and was wondering if there was any way for him to get the maximum connection for internet. He uses a modem which is like a 52k, I think or somewhere close to it. He says that he only gets a 32k or 28k and sometimes 37.4k connection whenever he tries to connect to the internet. He tells me his friends use modems as well but they get a high enough connection like 50.2k or 51.6k. He's really frustrated cuz he can't even play online games with that...well that's what he tells, my guess is that it lags...Well can somebody help him out or give him advice? I'm not good with internet things, so I'm asking the afterdawn people. Thanx for all your time and help!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

tell friend to try his computer at a friend's place that is getting good dialup speed. if friend gets a good speed than problem is with phone line either in house or on street. if no improvement check manufacturer of modem for update & possibly buy a new 56k modem different brand than what he has now. who made his modem

3. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

He uses a softk56Data Fax CARP. He says that he only gets like a 37.4k connections (that's like the average...which is slow I guess...) I've been to his house like once cuz it's expensive to go there cuz it's not in the US and it's SLOW... Trust me... I think he needs help.... I mean like the cyber cafe's around his place gives an average connection of 50.2k (I think somewhere around there...) Anyways thanx for all your help! Hope this problem is solvable...

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

Ok, when you first connect to the internet, it records the first initial connection.

Throughout the Session, it could increase or decrease depending on the load of the exchange, people accessing the internet site and ISP etc..

When you first connect to the Internet, the modem will make a series of "squeeks and squawks". This is your modem talking to our modem and agreeing on the most suitable speed. If the line is poor quality, the speed will be lower.

Differences in phone line connections can also cause your connection speed to vary considerably -
    Every extra piece of equipment between your computer and your ISP can have a large impact upon the speed that you connect at. Problems on the line may not affect your voice calls at all - modems can pick up noise and problems that are out of range for the human ear.

Another important thing to remember is that Windows will only report your INITIAL connection speed. The speed is continuously being re-negotiated in the background as line conditions vary. This re-negotiation is often a reason for dropouts -
    You will get the initial connection fine, but as time goes on, the line condition may drop and become unsuitable for any data transfer, causing a dropout.

So everything considered, even somebody in the same street will have a differnt connection speed than you.

Hope this helps you

(Working at an ISP, people are always asking about the connection speed lol)

CJC

5. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Let me get this straight.
    So basically, it all depends on the line, right? And when he connects to the internet with his modem he is acquiring only his initial connection and it is constantly changin right? So there is no real way of maximizing the internet connection, right? So all those people that my friends talk about having a 50.2k just have a good line, right?
    Thanx man for this I guess
    I'll email him ASAP about it...

6. CJC

CJC Regular member

Basically... yes

Generally it will stay around the speed it connects at, it just depends on the quality of the line.

CJC

7. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Thanx CJC and ddp for all da help!!! I'll write asap to him...