1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much does RAM contribute to preformance?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ecnal, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Ecnal

Ecnal Member

Hi everyone. I was just wondering how much the amount of RAM one has affects the overall experience, specifically relating to gaming. I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 Laptop and I found out that I can upgrade my graphics card to a nVidia 5200, 64M card or 32 MB GForceFX5200 Go. I currently have a 3.2 GHZ Intel Pentium 4 Processor and 512 MB of RAM. How much would adding another 512mb affect the overall gameplay experience? Is it really worth it? (I prefer game preformance over quality of graphics.)

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you would be better off increasing the ram for the video card to 128 or 256meg to make the games go smoother & better

3. Ecnal

Ecnal Member

I believe that the 64 mb Card is essentially the best I can get, and it is an upgrade to the crappy one I have now. I just want to be able to run new games smoothly at the lowest graphics settings. With the 64 mb card, would adding another 512 mb even make a difference to performance?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

probably not at all. that is a problem with laptops in that there is only a few things can be upgraded on laptops & video cards is usually not 1 of them!!