1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How not to screw up a new NON Genuine 250GB HDD from eBay?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by bullka, Jun 19, 2012.

1. bullka

bullka Member

Hi,

My setup:
    - Non Slim Xbox 360. I think mine is Jasper.
    - Latest Dashboard (I play online; so I always have latest).
    - Genuine 120GB HDD.

I have already ordered a new non genuine 250GB hdd from eBay.
    I see many complaints in the Internet that somehow people screw up the disk.

1. What is a 100% working way not to screw up the disk?
    2. Should it work connecting it directly to console?
    3. Can I format it in the console? I've seen cases when people report that after format 120GB disk became 20GB disk with 16GB free etc.
    4. Maybe I need to backup something from that disk (bin files) so I would be able to recover the bricked disk and start all over. I have the non genuine transfer cable.

I can transfer all my save files via USB flash memory. I won't use the transfer cables if that can screw up the disk.

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

if you use the files from a 250GB then it will format as a 250, if you use the files from a 20 then it will format as a 20, yes you can transfer files with a flash drive!

3. bullka

bullka Member

Thanks!
    I ordered the disk from eBay. So I don't know what kind of files were used in that HDD. So the first thing I must do after getting the HDD is to format in in the console. If after format I will have more than 200GB of free space - I'm OK. And if I will get less free space after the formatting - I must contact the seller. Right?

Can the disk be reinitialized and correct bin files inserted if I will screw the disk?
    Can I make a backup of whatever bin files are there before formatting?
    Is it possible to extract HDD key from the bin files?

4. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

People screw up the non genuine hdd's and genuine hdd's because they use a transfer cable and don't read the instructions. If you have the hard drive hooked up via the transfer cable and plug it into your xbox the xbox will only see it as a usb memory device, not a hard drive. Then if you decide to try to format it using the option in the system settings you will overwrite the code on the hard drive that the xbox uses to recognize a genuine hdd.

I've seen it done countless times, you've been warned, read the directions when using a transfer cable or transfer your content via a flash drive.

5. bullka

bullka Member

Hi,

So as long as I won't format it as an USB memory - I'm ok. Thanks!!!

But what if I will connect a non genuine hdd directly to Xbox (replace my old) and then format it. What are chances I will screw it up? What should I do to avoid that? Will I be able follow the guide like this http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/co...b-sata-drive-work-xbox-360-xbox-360-slim.html to make it Xbox compatible again?

6. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

that method will work as long as you follow it exactly, heres my problem with it, i dont know how much you paid for the hard drive you are using, but i can purchase a brand new 360 hard drive 320gb for 57 dollars LOL, thats a lot simpler!

7. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

The ones on ebay are already hacked and formatted properly, just plug it into the top of your xbox and leave it. You can't screw it up if you use the port on the top of the xbox.

If you do screw it up you have to follow the tutorial to rehack the drive.