1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do you have to update your firmware?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Norm9, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Hi there, im just wondering how often/how do you know you have to update your firmware?

As im thinking that because my burner takes upto 30 mins for 4x (as that's the only speed indicated by Nero Recode 2)

I have done a search & found this page sayin its too slow for that speed & also my DMA is set as well & not to PIO.

This is my current update RPC1

But when i done a search on the main site i didnt see anything related to it, maybe i dont need one? or what is makin it slow.

Thanks for any advice given.

PS. When i started a new thread, it asked me to log-in, thats the 1st in a very long-while (maybe it was missing me?)

2. attar

attar Senior member

Fifteen minutes more like.Is the HDD de-fragmnented and is DMA on for the HDD?

3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

One generally only needs to update firmware if there is a problem with a new MID code or a new feature, such as a speed increase, needs to be added. One also has to update recording software. Different versions of Nero can give dramatically different results on the same drive and same MID code. Certain discs can fail with one version and work very well with a different version of the same recording software--with no changes in drive, firmware, and MID code. That's a factor that is seldom recognized.

4. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

It was a few weeks back & took overnite to defrag, but i'll check in a while & come back.

If i may ask: what's an MID code,

It probably is seldom recognized, & that is one of the reasons i come here to get valuable advice from whoever is informative about these problems.

i use Nero 6.6.0.1.8. as i hear ver7 is givin out problems, as i wouldnt have known to update recording software as you'd think it updates itself rather updating it manually? But as im familiar but new as well to newer problems, the advice comes in handy to find out the next step.

Thanks

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The MID code is the Manufacturer's Identification Code that is digitally written to an inner part of a recordable disc. Players cannot access this inner part, only recorders. The MID code identifies the owner of the stamper used to press the plastic base of the disc. Recording drives are supposed to read that code and a series of field ID numbers that suggest what laser power levels to use and what pulse rates over the radius of the disc. That takes some processing power, but today's cheaper drives use less expensive firmware chipsets that simply associate the MID code with a power strategy for the disc. If the MID code is not in the drive's memory, the drive either uses default power strategies, refuses to see the disc, or claims the disc is faulty. Firmware updates to drives often add a few more MID codes to the drive's memory chip.