1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Picky is my dell?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by zenarrrow, Apr 26, 2005.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I won't lie I don't know Jack about PC's. I have a dell 4550 could I rip the memory cards out of a gateway and insert them in the dell? How about the Harddrive? Would I fook my PC up by swapping stuff?

2. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

Ok id love to help you i honestly would but please elaborate on the gateway. Maybe its just me i dont buy pc's i always build them so im not too well aqquainted with dell or tiny and the such companies. Also i realise you said you dont know much but please provide as many technical details about the gateway computer, the hard drive and the memory please so i can suggest if it would imapct your performance at all.

Thanks

3. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Is a gateway an other pc?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  4. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK guys give me a little bit, I will rip into it, thanks for your input thus far. As soon as I find out I will post once again in here, thanks again, sorry about not enough info.

5. hijacker

hijacker Guest

You should be able to use the memory from this machine in your dell.Just make sure that it is compatible in speed with your dell.Call up Dell and ask them what type of memory is in your computer ex.PC400,PC100 etc...Then check if it's SDRAM or DDR ram.It's probably DDR that is the standard today.DDR2 with 2 sticks.Depending on the motherboard.As far as the Hard drive you can use any hard drive.They should be all universal or that SATA hard drives, unless you have this connection on this drive on the motherboard.As far as hard drive size baing used on this computer will be the issue.The bios is locked on these manufactured computers.So if it can detect the full byte size of the drive than that is all that matters.You may try a Raid card if that's the case.Use to work for tech support for emachines/gayway.And it really sucked ass.But This is what a customer did used a raid card to get up to th 120-200 gig hard drive on a emachine and it seemed to work.

6. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

So if the memory is compatable, do I just plug it in and it will recognize it? I thin I am just gonna plug it in and see what happens are their any adverse affects this could cause? Thanks

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

it will either work or not work with new ram in

8. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Thank you very much I will try it and see what happens!!!