1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How sensetive is Seagate Backup Plus to motion

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by varxtis, Jul 5, 2016.

1. varxtis

varxtis Member

Im thinking of getting a Dell 2-in-1 computer laptop with USB 3.0 port. I have a 4TB Seagate portable hard drive that I would like to use as additional storage, but I need to know how sensitive my HDD is to motion and heat. the HDD I have is a 4TB SeagateBackup Plus portable hard drive. The
    P/N: 1K9APV-500
    S/N: NA7P7PR1
    Model: SRD00F1

I understand that this is not a solid state drive, but Im curious if it would be harmful to operate from a backpack or a bag. Im concerned about both motion effecting HDD internal components, as well as overheating from being operated from a confined space like a bag or Backpack.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

in what position are you going to use the laptop as in sitting or walking?

3. varxtis

varxtis Member

Im really sorry for the delay, didn't realize someone responded. At home, it'll pretty much always be stationary on my desk or Ottoman. So, the Seagate Backup Plus will also be stationary. On the go however, I'll be using the 2-in-1 in much the same fashion as my Galaxy Note 8.0. Carry it around in a carrier, pull it out, do a couple of tasks, lock the screen, put it back in the bag., etc. during these times, the Seagate Backup Plus will be in a pocket in my bag. It definitely won't be shaken, spun around, thrown, or tossed, but it won't be "Stationary". Temperature wise, I've tested how hot it'll get in the bag while being used (connected it to my desktop and used it while in the bag) and so far it hasn't been too much of a concern for me. The drive doesnt really get hot at all. So it just the matter of Motion sensitivity at this point.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you should be alright then as I have a 500gb laptop hd inside of an external enclosure carried around in my back pack along with the rest of my computer tools & have had no problems with it at all for now almost 2yrs.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Transcend make portable hdd's that are knock protected (Apparently the USA military use them),they do work after dropping them on the floor, well i had to test it :D