1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU SOLDER SUCH SMALL POINTS?!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by infusion, Apr 4, 2003.

1. infusion

infusion Member

MAN. I just got the Magic 3.1 red mod. It didn't come with any wires. But when I saw the installation pictures for versions 1,2,and 3 it looked easy. When I opened up the PS2. WHOLLLY COW. It so small compared to the pictures. How in the world am I going to do this. Any tips? What do I need. Will a 30 amp soldering iron with fine tip work? Thanks

2. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

Hehe .. I think thats everyones reaction :)

Use a 15watt iron and the smallest bit you can get (avoid copper bits, get a iron plated one as the copper gets dirty soon as you power it one and you have to keep cleaning with glass paper).

3. itsawgood

itsawgood Member

My advice...DON'T ATTEMPT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ruined my first PS2 trying to install a Magic 3.1 modchip. I am on my second PS2 now and use the Flip Top and Swap discs..love it, works perfect. I just wish I would have known about the Flip Top in the first place.

4. c7015

c7015 Regular member

carefully ....lol

dont try it if you are overwhelmed with the size because it is so easy to make a mistake

if you do atempt it make sure you have desolder wick and when you get to the bios solders you might want to put the solder on the wire first and then you just heat up the contact for a second and place the 2 together (this way there is less chance of a big gob of solder bridgeing your connections) but you do have to make sure if you do it this way that your connections are good and not weak ones.

5. reeseg

reeseg Member

itsawgood does the swap thingy play dvd9 games, just curious

6. Mooshie

Mooshie Member

I ordered a Messiah 2 from modchipman.com thinking my father, who is an electrical engineer with years of circuit board experience, could do this for me.
    After seeing how damn small those solder points were even under 8x magnification we decided to send the chip and my PS2 back to modchipman and have him
    install it for 60 bucks. It is possible we could have done the install ourselves but the risk of damage was greater than the cost of sending it off to have it installed professionally.

7. Prime_vci

Prime_vci Guest

another thing u cpould do for the bios is get one of those razor blades and put therm in between the pins i herd people doign this so it wont bridge...