1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to avoid getting blurry subtitles?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by johnnyemh, Jul 1, 2007.

1. johnnyemh

johnnyemh Member

Hi guys:

I realized that en a few movies, when I back them up (like "Letters From Iwo Yima"), the subtitles get totally blurry to the point of been almost imposible to read them (and of gray color), while the original DVD has clear and white subtitles.

After using decrypter, the blurry situation appears (while if I play directly from the DVD the subtitles are clear), then I process them with DVDShrink and the blurriness persists. Trying to see if the problem could be solved, I tryed before DVDShrink with this program called "Fixvts" (program than normally use when DVDShrink does not accept the movie initially); .... AND THE BLURRINESS STILL REMAINS :<(

Does somebody has had this problem and knows how to solve it? I'll be very thankful for any sugestion or advise.

2. ptmd

ptmd Guest

johnny, when you run 'em thru shrink how far are you compressing them? over 50% ??? it sounds like you are losing a quality when it's compressed, did you run it thru another program like VoBBlanker to remove extra stuff? Also if you dont care about menu structure you can use the "re-author" feature in DVDShrink and drag and drop the main movie only, also dont forget to remove unneeded subtitles such as languages you dont speak.

3. johnnyemh

johnnyemh Member

Hi PTMD:

Thanks for answering. I do not think the shrinking rate is the problem, since always I process any DVD first with DVD-Decrypter, and only then with DVDShrink; and the blurriness shows up after the Decrypter's 1st process. Besides, other times I went to shrink DVDs to the maximum (42% or so), and I never had this problem before.

Besides, in this case I used the reauthored feature of DVDShrink to get just the plain movie, and still the problem persists. In the other hand I never used Vobblanker (in which cases do I need to use this program for instance?).
    Thanks again:>(

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  4. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Vobblanker isn't going to do anything to correct your problem, it's wierd how they're clear on the original but blurry on your backup disk. I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but try ripping the video files from the original disk to your hard drive using DVDFab instead of DVD decrypter, then open the files using shrink and let it process the files as you specify.

DVDFab
    http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=HDDECRYPTER

It's possible that DVD decrypter is doing something wierd, use DVFab instead and see if it clears up.

5. johnnyemh

johnnyemh Member

Hi johnl123:

Thanks a lot for the advise, ..... I hope it will work.

Cheers